This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Kosovan independence (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Kosovan independence
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Kosovo (or is it Kosova?) declared independence today. Happened to be in London in the Trafalgar Square area this afternoon, and it was madness. In a good way. Loads and loads of people celebrating the event, cars hooting, horns blowing. I had no clue what it was about at first, but it didn't take long to work it out. There were a lot of happy people out there, and it was quite moving. And they have a very cool-looking flag (says me, who doesn't like nationalism or flag-waving normally.)
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be pretty noisy in the streets of Zurich, Geneva, Bern, etc
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.

"Is that a map of Kosovo or are you just pleased to be independent?"

-

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fucking hell, have they won something six times? When did that happen?
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Countdown to Serbia kicking their metaphorical door in.

Unfortunately.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weirdly, no-one has seemingly mentioned Camp Bondsteel as part of what's annoying the Russians here (most reports seem to put it down to pan-slavism).

I was chatting to a Kosovan a year or so ago, and he said in the mountains, there's a plateau which has a kind of micro-climate; the Americans reckoned it would be the best place for a base for that part of Europe.

It's a big fucker, and the concession paid by the US Govt is the largest single item of revenue for the Kosovar government. It's handily cited for trouble in t'balkans, what with those pipelines full of lovely central asian oil and gas.

[ 17.02.2008, 21:32: Message edited by: Nathan HelenaHandcart ]

Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just discovered (on a web search) that it was in fact the Albanian flag that was being widely waved today. And many people were dressed in the red and black colours of that flag. Not surprising since most of Kosovo is ethnically Albanian, I guess. And it's far better than that rather boring looking one posted above. Is that their own flag? No wonder they stuck to waving the red and black one.

[ 17.02.2008, 21:31: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually wondering why I'd seen the Albanian flag all over all the Kosovar stuff, and whether that flag had been adopted by the new nation.

In (sort of) defence of the Serbs, the Kosovars, and particularly the KLA, do seem to be a bunch of militaristic corrupt bandits, and although the west seems to have sided with the Kosovars it's not so obviously easy to come down on one side or the other.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pipelines go through NATO countries, apart from a possible diversion of South Stream through Vojvodinja. Surely it'd be easier to use troops stationed in Germany if they wanted to influence anything happening in the pipeline countries?

I think the Russians are more bothered about the precedent and the implications for state sovereignty, as they were over Iraq.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most talk of Camp Bondsteel and oil pipelines is in relation to the proposed AMBO pipeline, as far I can see, which will run through Albania, Macedonia and Bulgaria.
Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the EU is going to be more or less running the place, not neccesarily according to the wishes of the locals, does anyone else feel the look of the flag is a bit of a subversive statement by the Kosovars?
Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, the Kosovan independence may have a fairly bad knock on effect in Serbia with the DSS being ousted by nationalists as they have been seen to "lose" Kosovo when obviously the main cause was Milosevic.

This seems pretty ominous so I am looking forward to someone shooting this theory down in flames.

When are the Kosovan nationel team going to be accepted into FIFA. I see that they are playing Albanian colours at the moment

-

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're the Crusaders of the Balkans.

Talking of ethnic cleansing, what was the local Serb population before recent movements? If less than 10%, what is the rational Serb case for preventing independence?

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's another ten minutes on the Eurovision Song Contest, then.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the various knock on positives of this declaration is that it really irritates the Russians a lot.

When the Burma crisis was in full swing some months back they refused to criticise the Junta, instead they chose to trot out their stock response of it being an internal matter. Well, guess what, Kosovan independance is an internal matter too so read it and weep.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC