This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Moments when you really know the earth is round (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Moments when you really know the earth is round
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time for my weekly plug for Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's always Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

Better watch the James Mason film, as the cartoon took some liberties with the science.

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Time for my weekly plug for Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'.
I'd not noticed - I've been away.

Currently sitting on the back of my toilet is 'Imagining the tenth dimension' - required reading if you've got more than one kid. Sort of helps to stabilise the brain.

As far as the Earth being round - of course it is (to you and me), nothing else makes sense.

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few common sense reasons to deduce the earth is round

1. Differences of length of shadows on sundials as Taylor mentioned on page 2

2. The top of a distant ship will first appear over the horizon, followed by the remainder (on a flat earth it would appear tiny and get bigger).

3. Sailors will observe that the apparent height of stars in the sky will change over a long journey (over a flat earth they would stay the same).

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Yes. Seeing the Magellanic Clouds when in South Africa, having never seen them in Britain, is one of those moments.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, hmmm, I thought this might happen. We're all talking at cross purposes. I wasn't talking about proofs of the sphericalness and 3Dness of everything. I was talking about the moments when the sphericalness and 3Dness of everything really hits you. Never mind, never mind.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but when I see the Magellanic Clouds I really think "bloody hell, I'm on the other side of something now."
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Wyatt said about The Elegant Universe stuff. Apart from the bollocks. I'm actually a string theory enthusiast - I just recognise its limitations, and I'm not the best qualified person to judge its merits.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are a few common sense reasons to deduce the earth is round

1. Differences of length of shadows on sundials as Taylor mentioned on page 2

2. The top of a distant ship will first appear over the horizon, followed by the remainder (on a flat earth it would appear tiny and get bigger).

3. Sailors will observe that the apparent height of stars in the sky will change over a long journey (over a flat earth they would stay the same).

1 and 3 would be true if the earth were flat and the sun and stars relatively close. The Flat Earth Society asserts that the sun and moon are flat discs, each 32 miles in diameter and 3000 miles away, with the stars just beyond them.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is there a pop science book that a total thickie like me could read about this stuff?
"Quantum" by Jim Al Khalili is really good for this stuff.
"Big Bang" by Simon Singh gives a nice run down of how we got to what we think today.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a pop-up science book that a total thickie like me could read about this stuff?
One that pops up in 11 dimensions.

Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Flat Earth Society asserts that the sun and moon are flat discs, each 32 miles in diameter and 3000 miles away, with the stars just beyond them.
Still beats religion though, doesn't it...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, hmmm, I thought this might happen. We're all talking at cross purposes. I wasn't talking about proofs of the sphericalness and 3Dness of everything. I was talking about the moments when the sphericalness and 3Dness of everything really hits you. Never mind, never mind.
Sure, I think people know that; my point is that in a plane, you're not "seeing the curvature of the Earth" at all; you're just seeing a circular horizon, which is what you'd see with a flat Earth, or indeed any sufficiently large Earth of any sufficiently smooth shape.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One that pops up in 11 dimensions.
Up is one dimension.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sure, I think people know that; my point is that in a plane, you're not "seeing the curvature of the Earth" at all; you're just seeing a circular horizon, which is what you'd see with a flat Earth, or indeed any sufficiently large Earth of any sufficiently smooth shape.
Well, hold on a moment. What if it was a really long flat oblong? How would you get a curved horizon then? Or what if it just stretched off infinitely, like a computer game? You wouldn't get a horizon at all.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC