This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Favourite railway station name (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Favourite railway station name
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favourite little bits of local trivia is about Brookwood Cemetery. It is now a fraction of its original intended size*, but once upon a time it was going to be one of the main 'overflow' cemeteries for London. To facilitate this, funeral trains would run down from Waterloo to two stations inside the cemetery: one called Necropolis and the other called Mausoleum. See here for a few photos and info. Needless to say, these would have been my favourite station names, were they still there.

* - Quoting from another site,
quote:
In 1854, Brookwood was the largest Cemetery in the world. Today this is no longer true, but it remains the largest Cemetery in the UK, and is probably the biggest in Western Europe. Since 1854, some 240,000 people have been buried there.
However, since it did not expand to occupy the space originally set aside for it, the surplus land was sold off and now forms three (yes, three) full-sized 18-hole golf courses (each with a whole lot of forest/heath in them, too)! Can you imagine that - a cemetery that huge? Amazing.
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flowery Field in Hyde. By all accounts, a proper shithole.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul S
Member # 75

- posted      Profile for Paul S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting fact about those Brookwood Cemetery trains is that all the corpses were issued with single tickets - no returns!!!

Lympstone Commando is the base where all the marines are trained. You can get off there but unless you have an ID card there is no way of getting off the platform unless you walk along the track.

My favourite station name: Worcester Foregate Street

Don't know why. Just is.

Posts: 2400 | From: Plastered over the Maplin Sands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Llanfair PG is a cheat, surely? I thought the villagers lobbied for a much extended name when the railway opened. Previously it was just plain St Mary's in the hollow. or the Cymric translation.

Other faves:

Ultonia: Bleach green, Newtownabbey

Scotland: Cross my loof, Glasgow

but the undisputed winner

Waidmannslust (east Berlin)

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Daisy Hill"

"Corrour" (because it's original name was "Corrour shooting lodge" and whatever you think about hunting, it can't sound more Victorian than that...)

"Entwistle"

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we have tram stops? Besses o'th Barn if we can.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ant259
Member # 1734

- posted      Profile for ant259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 1653 | From: Oviedo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kowalski
Member # 10292

- posted      Profile for Kowalski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pont y Pant,
Quaker's Yard,
Craven Arms

Posts: 595 | From: People's Republic of Llandudno | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Mudchut, and Bat & Ball.

I'll also submit Theydon Bois. Such a Dickensian prospect, when the realit is a horrible Essex version of Croydon Lite.

Oh, and East Croydon. It signifies an easy escape.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dickens would have been delighted with a modern-day Essex version of Croydon. In fact fucking hell, he'd have had a field day.

"The tale of two cities" could have been about the inability of London and Basingstoke to "get along" when it came to server connection, although the associated love story might have been about a lapdancer from a club in Staines.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lodzubelieveit
Member # 1390

- posted      Profile for Lodzubelieveit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gdynia Wzgorze Swietego Maksymiliana

[ 22.02.2008, 06:41: Message edited by: Lodzubelieveit ]

Posts: 830 | From: Madrid | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ruggles isn't even the best station name in Boston. Alewife is better.
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a station on the Hamburg underground called Schlump. I always liked that.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Singer

Is in Clydebank and named after the now closed sewing machine factory.

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC