This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Favourite railway station name (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Favourite railway station name
Houdi Elbow
Member # 126

- posted      Profile for Houdi Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miles Platting
Etruria (sadly no more)

Posts: 879 | From: ATV Land | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm climbing aboard WE's Besses o'th Barn bandwagon.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ascott-under-Wychwood
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From that site of disused stations, a cursory glance throws up Glogue, Tidal Basin and (the immortalised) Knotty Ash.
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing more hauntological than a disused railway station, eh. The pictures on that site are excellent (in the worst way, of course) - from the prinked little cottages of their heydays to derelict ruins in as little as a decade.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my sad train-spotting days I took the train to 'Wootton Wawen Platform' just so I could have a train ticket with Wootton Wawen Platform on it.

When I got there it turned out that it was just a flat concrete platform in the middle of a field of sheep, worse still the ticket they gave me just said 'Stations in Henley in Arden' or some such.

Looks like it had once had a waiting room back in 1908.

-

Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking of 'hauntological' places, does anyone know of a website covering the British 'ghost villages'? I know a little about Imber and Tyneham but I'm not really interested in the places that were built specifically for military exercises so much as those which were real villages but were simply deserted at some point.
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread could seriously damage my work, so I'll just point Clive in the direction of Arkwright Town before ignoring it...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, looking at that site's just given me a shiver: A few months ago I had a really vivid dream about going to Alton Towers. Except that in the dream, it was all different with this long crowded rural path that led into the park.

So when I found this on the website, I was a bit spooked as it's 100% the place I dreamt about. And I've never heard of it before.

Obviously, it's some half-remembered shit family outing that we must have had in the 80's, but still...

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Churn.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive - how about this one:

Centralia, PA

-

(not in Britain, but eerie just the same - was the basis for the abandoned town in the film of Silent Hill)

[ 22.02.2008, 11:32: Message edited by: Crusoe ]

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the name of the place, but I've been to an even bleaker station than the one in the photo above.

I was in Prague a couple of years ago, and we took a day trip out by train to Karlstein Castle, which is a right spooky bastard of 14th century vampire's hangout.

Coming back in the evening, as twilight was setting in, there was a brilliantly eerie moment when the train stopped in the middle of a woods where the station appeared to constitute no more than a sign. There was no platform or anything. A few people got off by hopping down from the doors and melted away into the trees.

For all I know there was a bustling town 100 yards back, but I rather like the idea that there's a special station for spooky people who live in trees.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scotland: Cross my loof, Glasgow

"Crossmyloof".

I love Canary Wharf, and others in the vicinity like West India Quay and Heron Quays.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and it's not really a favourite station name as much as a favourite station:

-

Staroměstská, Prague - it's like being inside a Dalek (er, if you see what I mean).

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ant259
Member # 1734

- posted      Profile for ant259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Asturias, going from Oviedo to Llanes, the last station you come to is charmingly named Poo. Beat that.
Posts: 1653 | From: Oviedo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC