This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Favourite railway station name (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Favourite railway station name
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keleti Pu

(there's probably some accents missing-it's one of the main stations in Budapest, and it lends itself to being sung along to all kinds of songs)

'Etruria' used to be announced by the station tannoy in Wolverhampton when I lived there, and sounded like 'Etrolia' in the local accent, so I always liked that one.

And 'Cross my loof' (with silver)

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't all Hungarian stations called pu (short for palyaudvar, I think)?

I was ticked off in Russian class at school for calling the teacher, Bolshoi Bill Nesbitt, 'Tov' rather than 'Tovarisch'. 100 lines for you, M(i)r Markov.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well anti-thanks* for the Flanders and Swann earworm folks.

Littleton Badsey
Miller's Dale for Tideswell
etc. etc. etc.

* or whatever the proper phrase is.

Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cosa arancione calda
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for cosa arancione calda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diss.

You never get tired of the conductor going "Ladies and gentlemen, we are now approaching Diss. Dis is Diss <chuckles>".

It's funny every day. It is.

Posts: 645 | From: High on a hill looking down | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That link about Centralia is amazing. A fire burning for 45 years!
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went through Diss, someone had subtly altered the station sign. I expect that happens a lot.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coincidentally, I was just talking to somebody about Centralia. The subject was things that are amazing and yet horrible.

I've been there.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A documentary about the real Centralia would be a lot more chilling and gripping than Silent Hill. Then again, so would anything.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one sounds quite spooky
Mytholmroyd

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mytholmroyd's on a lovely bit of the slow-train journey across the Pennines from Leeds to Manchester. When I lived in Leeds I used to get dropped off there on the way back from away games by another O's exile who lived there.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My company has one of its main offices in Mytholmroyd, oddly enough. I went there last year. It's quite nice.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to go to Centralia. And, with appropriate protection, to Pripyat (check out the amusement park photo - perfectly sinister).
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hungarian termini are called pályaudvar, I think. And I believe everyone says the word in full, sorry Fliss.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, again I'm going off topic, but I remembered another station - Rannoch Station, possibly the most remote I've been to. My mum used to work near there - according to her:

"Rannoch Station on the Glasgow/Fort William line. It was a 'request stop' i.e. if you were on the train and wanted to get off, you had to ask the guard in advance. If you were at Rannoch and wanted to get on the train, the stationmaster had to call down the line for a request to be passed to the train driver....

The railway is a 'floating railway' built over a boggy moor on sand and sleepers in the same way as railways were built in Singapore. There is nothing else there - just a 5-bedroom hotel, station and stationmaster's house and the road stops there...it's effectively a 17 mile cul-de-sac from Kinloch Rannoch."

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rannoch is before(or after...) Corrour, on the West Hihglands line, an absolute must of a journey for anyone who enjoys travelling by train, it takes five hours from Glasgow to Mallaig. Alight there in summer and unless you are equiped for a jungle trip, you'll be eaten alive by the midges...

Centralia and the Necropolis both had excellent, in depths articles in Fortean Times, fascinating stuff.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC