This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Another Marathon Thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another Marathon Thread
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some good news is that i managed to get into the London Marathon.
The bad news is that i have already entered and booked to run in the Paris Marathon a week earlier.
So on the 6th and 13th of April 2008 i will be running consecutive marathons for St Josephs Hospice.

I have pledged to raise 2000 for this needy and worthy organisation,
My just giving site is here
Anyway, as for training, i have had to step up my training as i have spent 10 days in Ghana recently and i will be living it up in ATL celebrating my 35th in some style so i really have to get all my training in by 20th march.
This is proving difficult as i overdid it in the gym and have a knee strain meaning i can only run a maximum of 3 times a week.
That's what happens when you try and leg-press 400KG

Did my fastest 10 mile time (outside a race) today when i managed to clock 10.2 miles in 1:15 which means that i might try and break 1:30 at next weekends Milton Keynes half.

Who else is running London, Rick, Ptang?
I am thinking of doing a Marathon Blog on Facebook or sometwhere like that since people are going to sponsor me.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good lad.

I'd donate, but I already know four people who are running the Londond Marathon, and am already shelling out the best part of a ton for them. Sorry. Blame Holly.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you are a fucking lunatic! 2 consecutive weekend marathons, that ain't good

yea, I am doing it. only up to 14 miles so far though

1 15 is awesome for 10 miles

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Poster
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Bill Poster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Good Luck and all that (you're mad!).

Done

Posts: 1605 | From: Here to Eternity | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
on the 6th and 13th of April 2008 i will be running consecutive marathons for St Josephs Hospice.
And on the 14th of April 2008, you'll be entering St Josephs Hospice...

Good luck, by the way.

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know about six people who are running the London marathon now.

Good luck Malcolm and Rick. I'll be there on April 13th to cheer you on.

Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do one with your legs, and the other with your gats.

Good luck, chaps. If I started running now, you'd probably catch me up with 10 miles to go.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must now be time to mention chocolate...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should say that GO, they have reserved me a bed with a window view already.
Thanks to those who have made pledges already.

What time you aiming for Rick, after paris i will probably be sore and tired so anything below 4 hours would be a triumph.
I am dong the MK half and i am aiming for a sub 1:35 and if i am feeling strong, will try to attack 1:30.
I have not gone over 10.5 miles in training yet, but i am aiming for do 17-22 miles this sunday, after that i will be have a better appreciation of what my fitness levels are.

That 1:15 run and leg session in the gym yesterday took alot out of me and i was only able to able around today in about 1:26 for 10.5 miles, but the important thing is i didn't stop.

If you wanna go for an evening run in the slough\maidenhead area, send me a PM. Currently running conditions are great, nice and cool so you don't overheat, but not too cold that your hands freeze ater half an hour.

Just hope my knee does not get worse.
Nishlord, i am doing alot of leg weights in the gym and nothing at all on my top half and as such my gats are shrinking. The were 17 inches in the summer (thicker than my neck) now they are 15 inches and the lady is not impressed.
Now i am into training mode, i have gone down from 14 and a bit to 13 and a half stone and hope to be about 13 by beginning of April.
I just hope i can maintain my discipline in Atlanta and go easy on the booze and fast food.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan Mountstuart the 3rd
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Logan Mountstuart the 3rd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Malcolm, I always run around 1h12 for 16k/10miles and I can never quite get under 1h35 for the half marathon, so maybe you are being a little optimistic with your 1h30 attempt. But give it a go anyway. And seriously good luck with your double marathon. My only tip would be to do jackshit for a whole week before the first race, and a really small run (2 or 3 miles) on the Thursday in between.

quote:
now they are 15 inches and the lady is not impressed.
I don't really know what to say about this, apart from stay away from my wife.

You are lucky to get a place for the London Marathon. As I've said before on here, the only way to get a place if you live abroad is by buying some official, rip - off hotel/ starting place combo.

I'm running the Bath Half Marathon on March 16. As usual, I will be wearing my "Come on, you can beat a Fat Dutch Trucker" sign on my back.

For the first time in 5 years I seem to be training without injuries, so I may aim to go for a Marathon in May if all goes well in Bath, possibly in Germany in the Ruhr. Running over all those bridges sound fun, and the post race beer will be good.

Posts: 1774 | From: a sea of lactic acid | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ant259
Member # 1734

- posted      Profile for ant259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Malcolm (and Rick, too of course).

If I were you I would stop the leg work-outs now, and if you haven't gone over 10.5 miles, don't do 17 or more or Sunday. Do 13-15 round an easy circuit to give you confidence.

I'm doing the Martin Fiz marathon in Vitoria in May, and before then I've got 3 halfs (halves?), one 10k and one 20 miler (31.5kms) lined up. I'm currently going out 4 times a week and doing about 65kms/week. I do one tempo run at about 4:30/km, one easier at 4:50, one session of speedwork (warm-up of 3.5kms, then 4-5 x 1.500 @ 4:0-4:10, warm-down of 3.5kms) and a longer one (20-25kms) on Sundays. I should say that I've been doing this regime for five weeks, whereas before I was doing no more than 40kms/week, and not really bothering too much about quality.

With all this I'm looking at doing about 1:27-1:28 in the Half Marathons, and anything under around 3:18 in the Full Monty. I did 3:09 in Bilbao but three years have gone by since then, even though this one is flatter.

Keep me informed as to your progress, but keep away from that gym, for God's sake.

Posts: 1653 | From: Oviedo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 marathons on consecutive weekends?

Pah, I sniff at your amateurness!

Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, MX!
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick derris
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for rick derris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you are not meant to increase your weekly run by more than 10%. I have just done 14, dropping to 13 for next weeks reading half (anybody else doing the UK's second biggest half marathon?)

london is only 7 weeks away, creeps up every year! my training going ok, only doing about 30 miles a week though

lost a stone, haven't drank this year etc

the real goal though is for the windsor and london triathlon. windsor june and london august

Posts: 4512 | From: bat country | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC