This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » What the f**k is a 'sex encounter establishment'? (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: What the f**k is a 'sex encounter establishment'?
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What makes you think the inmates of "faith" schools are "willing"?

Yeah, I thought about amending that before I even posted it. I absolutely don't think kids are 'willling' captives in faith schools. In fact, when people ask my wife and I about raising our kids 'athiest' (as if it's a radical position), the usual suggestion is 'why not let them decide for themselves when they get older'. Which is fine, but I'll be fucked if I'm going to let them be filled with religious bullshit until then, and then have to unlearn it all. Kind of like the little anecdote I told here if you're interested. The longish post, about half-way down.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd consider myself one of the more hardcore atheists on OTF and it wouldn't occur to me to protest the construction of a mosque.
I dearly hope that the day will come when Britain's derelict, deserted, noughties-built mosques are converted into discos and bingo halls (ideally, for the sake of irony, Mecca ones), but I doubt I shall live long enough to see it.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Make that 20 more pages.
Ah yes! I concur.

The curse of the slow typer/spelling obsessive!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we undertook certain Hindu practices, the whole thing would be both more complicated, and simple at the same time.

I was going to look for reference to the necrophagist holy men of Benares who have sex with a menstruating prostitute once a year as some central focus of their religious calendar. Funnily enough, I'm not too enamoured by putting that into Google when I'm in work. Wait til I get home, if anyone wants enlightening.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am normally against the idea of message boards with polls but the 'Brothel or Place of Worship in your street? - you decide!' option would be fantastic. Perhaps on the brave new world of wsc.co.uk?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I dearly hope that the day will come when Britain's derelict, deserted, noughties-built mosques are converted into discos and bingo halls (ideally, for the sake of irony, Mecca ones), but I doubt I shall live long enough to see it. "

Same here, but, you know, the same goes for chain pubs.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Funnily enough, I'm not too enamoured by putting that into Google when I'm in work. Wait til I get home, if anyone wants enlightening.
Red lightening, surely?

Kudos, Wyatt! :-)

[ 25.02.2008, 16:32: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is important to distinguish between main-stream Islam and the Conservative Islam of people like Said Kutb, but unfortunately the extremists have all the money.

The House of Saud has spent tens of billions of Rials exporting their extreme conservative form of Wahaabiist Islam to the rest of the world. Their money has funded the building of Mosques and schools world-wide, and in return for this investment they have seen to it that Wahabiists have staffed these institutions. Western governments have not been blind to this, they are aware of what has been happening but have chosen to do nothing because they are paralyzed by the fear of failing oil supplies.

(I mean, if you are Bush or Brown and you have a choice between doing in business with the murderous and oppressive House of Saud, or Hugo Chavez - you choose the Saudis obviously.)

Consider for a moment the hypocrisy of those western politicians who ring their hands at the rise of Islamic fundamentalism, yet have chosen to do nothing about the root cause of this turn to fundamentalism because acting against fundamentalism ultimately may damage corporate profits.

Similarly a Saudi Prince suspected of taking GBP 1 Billion pounds in bribes from a British company is able to say to Tony Blair "stop investigating me, or I will ensure that terrorist attacks against you resume unchecked" and Blair's only response is to back down. These lying, cheating thugs are our allies allegedly.

Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. Can't stop - I'm busy and want to read through the thread before I add something. Just thought I'd mention one of the reasons I reckon the licence request might be denied: there's a mosque a few doors down.

(Apparently, the council take into account whether there are schools and places of worship in the vicinity when they're making their decision.)

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WoM,

We sound very much alike in our positions, in fact I've had a very similar conversation with my eldest daughter as you recounted in the other thread ( I don't have the same problem about raising the issue of God being made up discussed on there. I just told my daughter that some people believed the stories about God and Jesus were true but I didn't).

I find religous schools far more loathsome than places of worship, and (given the legal requirement for a level of Christian ideology in all standard state schools) a lot harder to avoid.

[ 25.02.2008, 16:48: Message edited by: Harry Carpenter ]

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is important to distinguish between main-stream Islam and the Conservative Islam of people like Said Kutb, but unfortunately the extremists have all the money.
Great post, historically bob-on, but I hardly imagine it'll help get people more accepting of the plans to build their local mosque.
Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In fact, when people ask my wife and I about raising our kids 'athiest' (as if it's a radical position), the usual suggestion is 'why not let them decide for themselves when they get older'.
Er...
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi all. Can't stop - I'm busy and want to read through the thread before I add something. Just thought I'd mention one of the reasons I reckon the licence request might be denied: there's a mosque a few doors down.

(Apparently, the council take into account whether there are schools and places of worship in the vicinity when they're making their decision.)

Hah! Les mains sales indeed...
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hardly imagine it'll help get people more accepting of the plans to build their local mosque.
True. Whenever someone imagines something new, they imagine the worst-case version of it. Like me, I guess, with my 'strip joint...and then what?' post on the first couple of pages.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So does anyone oppose the license on the basis that patrons and employees might be put at risk when Spearmint Rhino comes around with a can of petrol and a zippo lighter?

I see the Sartre reference got another outing. Does everyone see that? Everyone notices?

Not just controversial and outspoken, but well-read too. I do hope everyone notices.

(might be an idea to repeat it again, SR, just in case)

[ 25.02.2008, 17:07: Message edited by: The peak of El Toro-quino ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC