This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Super Tuesday was SO last week. (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Super Tuesday was SO last week.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Living and working. The living part was fine, but the working part turned to shit so I had to quit that job. Moving back here and reupping with my old company was the best option available to me. I'm still a bit bummed out about it.

That whole unfortunate series of events was chronicled here.
http://www.onetouchfootball.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=013223;p=10&r=nfx

BTW, that thread also includes my sad story about that girl. Liquidator will be glad to know that his advice was right. After she stopped working here and I didn't have to see her, I stopped trying. I haven't seen her in almost a year now. We've communicated once or twice on email in a very pro forma way. I sent her an email about a month ago just to be nice but haven't heard back. I'm well rid of that situation, even though it still sort of bothers me.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant joyless tosser in a friendly, down the pub, punch on the shoulder, "you old joyless tosser, you" kind of way, but wasn't sure of which smily thing I needed for that.
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact you'd have to be a joyless tosser to read it any other way.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean that in a friendly kind of way, Etienne?
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends how you took it, doesn't it?
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the well known author and Obama advisor Samantha Power has resigned after being quoted calling Hillary "a monster" in the Scotsman newspaper. She said "that's off the record" after calling her that, but the paper quoted her because she and the reporter didn't have a background agreement before the conversation.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. She seems extremely sensible.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad for Power, she's a great political analyst. If anything, it's a great testament of the quality and integrity of some of BO's advisors.

In the other press snafu involving the NAFTA policy leaked by the Canadian govt, it seems that the Conservative Party had a political agenda in helping undermine Obama. The leak was made by PM Harper's chief of staff.

Another somewhat related point about the Texas elections: it seems that some Republicans there have voted for Hillary just to help undermine the Democrats, that was the local buzz from my relatives there.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the other press snafu involving the NAFTA policy leaked by the Canadian govt, it seems that the Conservative Party had a political agenda in helping undermine Obama. The leak was made by PM Harper's chief of staff.
And Clinton did something similar to what Obama is supposed to have done--give reassurances to Harper not to believe her words on NAFTA. Is Harper pulling for Hillary (or doesn't want McCain to go up against Obama?)?
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

I think Obama should make a high-handed speech about how Canada shouldn't interfere with the politics of another country. That would be sure to placate them.
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bizarrely, Michael Moore has made high-handed speeches about how Canadians should pay no attention to Americans in both of the last two Canadian elections.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is Harper pulling for Hillary
Woof! (Sorry.)
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linus, you'd have to be a joyless tosser not to be able to tell.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question to our British friends:

The resemblance between Blair and Obama has been remarked upon a couple of times in various election-related threads. I was reminded of it when reading this Lexington article, which argues that Obama is the candidate of the "wine" democrats while HRC is the candidate of the "beer" democrats.

I have noticed that the board, by and large, seems to lean towards Obama over Clinton. I have also noticed that the board, to put it mildly, does not have an overly favourable opinion of Blair.

So, can anyone - preferably someone who would describe themselves as pro-Obama and anti-Blair - explain this? It seems like cognitive dissonance to me.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God I hate the trite marketing language in that article. What about people who are both wine and beer people? I don't think the comparisons with Blair are that easy to make to be honest. Blair's "appeal", when he first won, such as it was, was based on a hard-to-characterise alliance of traditional (perhaps socially conservative) Labour voters, middle-class "wine" liberals, a few middle-England disillusioned ex-Tories who thought he wasn't as "dangerous" as his predecesssors and, of course, those of us ("wine" and "beer" Labourites alike) who'd do absolutely anything to end Tory rule. People were desperate to get rid of them - we'd had 18 years to suffer, the US has only had eight.

The difference between Obama and Blair is that while both have relied heavily on vacuous cliche and spin, what Blair was doing politically was carrying out a very concentrated, very aggressive rightward repositioning of his own party. He was at war with it from the start - and projecting himself beyond it. Obama's in a very different position in that respect - for all his flaws, I doubt he'll be bending over to right-ish Republicans in quite the same way Blair sought to appeal to Tories.

Bill Clinton is still the Democrat politician most like Blair.

[ 09.03.2008, 14:30: Message edited by: E10Rifle ]

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC