This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Super Tuesday was SO last week. (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Super Tuesday was SO last week.
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of jaws dropping, McCain picks up an endorsement in Texas:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/27/mega-church-pastor-in-texas-backs-mccain/

"the pastor of a San Antonio mega-church, Rev. John C. Hagee, endorsed Mr. McCain for president. Mr. Hagee, who argues that the United States must join Israel in a preemptive, biblically prophesized military strike against Iran that will lead to the second coming of Christ, praised Mr. McCain for his pro-Israel views."

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out that trade thing works both ways.

Emerson is a dink but I'm glad he spoke up on this.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Birth canal news

It's Christmas and April 1st come early, all at once. McCain may not be eligible to be President, if the Democrats want to take revenge in the courts for 2000.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea how anything I have posted on this thread can be construed as aggressive.

And I'm only going to talk about this thread on this thread. That was the whole point of starting it, given my admitted role (the extent of which is irrelevant to this thread) in derailing the other one.

If you want to talk to me about the other stuff, I'll do it on the other thread. But what I am trying to do here - and elsewhere - is, in Dunc's words, to "back off". It would be easier to do so were everything I posted not taken as an attempt, or an invitation, to start a ruck. It really isn't meant to be, and I'm having genuine difficulty seeing in some cases how it can be.

[ 28.02.2008, 14:03: Message edited by: The peak of El Toro-quino ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lardinho - that would be absolutely hilarious. It'll never happen, though.

(On the other hand, could that be the precedent Arnie needs?)

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The famous "Realise you haven't a leg to stand on, so pick up on one possible weakness in a long post and focus on that rather than the actual bulk of the content of that post" gambit. Now where have I seen that before?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Andy, where have I done that, please?

I'm trying to stay out of rucks, since I appreciate that much of my recent behaviour on the board has been unacceptable.

I just wish they wouldn't keep following me around like this.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arnie's problem is that he was Austrian for a very long time before he became a "naturalised" American citizen. McCain has never been a citizen of any other country and was born in a place that considered itself subject only to US (military) law.

It's the kind of thing that passes for a good time among fans of constitutional interpretation and really should be clarified by legislation or another amendment, but it ain't going to keep McCain out of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the long post was mine, and the bit that you picked up on was "your aggressive behaviour on this and other threads". Aside from arguably "You, sir, are a veritable genius." which is not terribly aggressive by your standards, you are right that you really haven't been aggressive on this one. So you essentially highlighted a small oversight/error in my post and used that as your response, rather than responding to the point of the post itself.
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

I said I'd respond to those issues on the other thread if you wanted to raise them there, since this one was created purposely (if apparently unsuccessfully) to avoid having those issues interfere with the discussion.

I replied to that particular point because it suggested that I myself had carried those issues over into this thread, when I really didn't think I had. Clearly, had I done so, that would make me effort to keep this one "clean" a bit hypocritical.

[ 28.02.2008, 14:32: Message edited by: The peak of El Toro-quino ]

Member # 465

"A promising, young strategist named Karl Rove, of Texas, thinks that Rovian politics might do more harm to the GOP than Barack Obama in the general election."
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That G&M article is absurdly Canada-centric.

When people in the US bitch about NAFTA, about 95% of the time they're bitching about MEXICO, not Canada. Just because Ohio is a northern state doesn't change that much. In fact, when we first struck the deal with Canada, it barely made the fucking news, let alone rile up Democrats, when it was just US-Canada.

I know this because I wrote a school paper on it in High School at the time. I couldn't find any articles with any American economist, politician or activist saying it would be bad for the U.S. In fact, most of the Canadian opposition seemed to be about fears that Canadian culture would suffer. Not much concern about job losses except here and there - fishing, lumber and other stuff like that. But those disputes have been going on for two centuries, haven't they?

Of course, the US doesn't have any room to lecture Canada on labor and environmental issues, but the same cannot be said for Mexico. The perception is that Mexico is "stealing" American jobs by saving costs on labor and environmental standards. (Of course, this is, at best, overstated. The rust belt industries in Ohio started to rust long before NAFTA came around). So that's a politically viable strategem. If Obama or Clinton got up there and railed against those sneaky Canadians, they'd get laughed at.

Having said that, if the US does force renegotiation of NAFTA, there will be issues with Canada. As that article points out, Canada has a few bones to pick with NAFTA too.

But surely, NAFTA has provisions to renegotiate bits and pieces of it at any time without any country threatening to flounce in 6 months? That seems like an unnecessary theatrical flourish.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But surely, NAFTA has provisions to renegotiate bits and pieces of it at any time without any country threatening to flounce in 6 months?

You'd think. But check out the history of the soft-wood lumber agreement to see just how effective they are.

The thing is Reed many perhaps even most Canadians just don't trust the US when it comes to trade agreements. The perception is that they'll broken when any industry lobby group believes it's in their interest to do so and the federal government will either back them up, or stall for so long that Canada (or Mexico) will have to cave eventually. The central, and probably insurmountable, problem with NAFTA is that it is not a partnership of economic equals, the US will win any fight it wants to take on.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly believe this:

Barack's middle name will be a positive for him. All it will do is remind people how much better we were off when Saddam was in power over there. There's a shitload of people in the US who realize that Saddamy was the only one who could keep all of those knuckleheads in line. He's a reminder of the good ol' days.

Plus, with the economic downturn people despise Bush more than ever. Nothing will say FUCK YOU to that cunt than having a Hussein succeed him.

Put it this way, if Rove is saying to back off, that means it's not working, and it won't work.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

USS Cole;

"Thinking of Saddam when you hear Hussein is like thinking of Stalin when you hear Joseph".

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC