This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Super Tuesday was SO last week. (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Super Tuesday was SO last week.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AdC, that's right, which is why they ought to know that all this talk of renegotiating from the US presidential candidates is just talk.

But I don't see why they expect a renegotiation of NAFTA to make things any worse for Canada. Are we in a stronger negotiating position than we were in the early 1990s? I'd think not, but I could be wrong.

Besides, any Canadian that thinks the US will be fairer to Canada with McCain is either stupid or ignorant or both.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AdC, that's right, which is why they ought to know that all this talk of renegotiating from the US presidential candidates is just talk.

Sure, but it inserts "us" and our interests into the US Democratic campaign, so it's a gimme for Canadian media, and plays to the well established US government as Bogey-man meme.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John McCain, telling it like it is:
quote:
Reporter: “Should U.S. taxpayer money go to places like Africa to fund contraception to prevent AIDS?”
Mr. McCain: “Well I think it’s a combination. The guy I really respect on this is Dr. Coburn. He believes – and I was just reading the thing he wrote– that you should do what you can to encourage abstinence where there is going to be sexual activity. Where that doesn’t succeed, than he thinks that we should employ contraceptives as well. But I agree with him that the first priority is on abstinence. I look to people like Dr. Coburn. I’m not very wise on it.”
(Mr. McCain turns to take a question on Iraq, but a moment later looks back to the reporter who asked him about AIDS.)
Mr. McCain: “I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before. I don’t know if I would use taxpayers’ money for it.”
Q: “What about grants for sex education in the United States? Should they include instructions about using contraceptives? Or should it be Bush’s policy, which is just abstinence?”
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.”
Q: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”
Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”
Q: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”
Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”
Q: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”
Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

So principled. So honest.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"It inserts "us" and our interests into the US Democratic campaign, so it's a gimme for Canadian media, and plays to the well established US government as Bogey-man meme.

I thought the G&M was one of the good papers. I'm disappointed to see them playing into such a simplistic mindset.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Canadian parochialism is relentless, Reed. It infects even our decent institutions (like the G&M). It's the leading cause of me wanting to emigrate every third or fourth day.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

ABERDEEN MAN LOST AT SEA
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you and Reed should easily be able to sort something out there AG.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where to, AG?

Actually the French-language mass media in Quebec are quite objective WRT foreign policy issues, as opposed to the CanWest (NewsCorp north) dominated Anglo Canadian press.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have persistent fantasies about making a living as a writer from a base in Sevilla - say, walking distance from the Sanchez Pijuan - or, at a pinch, Padova or Vicenza (which, before either Urs or Spangles pummles me, is entirely about architecture and not about politics). With a brilliantly cool modernist second home (preferably with a pool) in Siem Reap.

As it is, I'm kind of tethered to Toronto. Which, admittedly, is nowhere near as awful as I thought it would be when I left Montreal.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long ago did you leave MTL?

Re. Padova and Vicenza, Berlusconi makes Harper look pretty good...

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

Latest poll average figure from Real Clear Politics:

Obama up 48 to 46 in TX
Hillary up 49 to 43 in OH.

I presume Obama will take Vermont and RI, but I haven't seen any polls there. Texas, VT and RI together are nearly twice as large as OH, so it looks like Hillary will be unable to make a significant cut into the Barack delegate lead on Tuesday, particularly since the electoral setup in TX is skewed towards urban areas and have a caucus component. There goes Hillary's "firewall".

Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hillary had a rather substantial lead in RI last I saw.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not seen a VT poll, but Hillary was leading in RI last time. I imagine RI only has about half a delegate, though, so nobody cares much about it.

GY's piece about McCain on contraception is astonishing.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obama has a large lead in Vermont, on the order of 15 to 25 points, depending on the poll.

Vermont data.

Clinton's lead in RI is a bit smaller, but still clear.

RI data.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Toronto: nowhere near as awful as you think it is."

It's a winner, I reckon.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC