This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Filey facts (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Filey facts
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just booked a bargain weekend at the Haven park in Filey for April. Not exactly a month on Necker Island, I admit, but the kids love that sort of thing. Besides, overseas holidays have the potential to blow a huge hole in my finances - and this way I've saved myself a tidy little sum, just enough for a wicked weekend in Paris... with the girlfriend, tweet tweet!

On the offchance that the park is as archaic and unhygienic as the Pontins at Southport, what delights are offerd by Filey and its environs?

[ 29.02.2008, 09:34: Message edited by: Major Eazy ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Filey actually exist? I thought Vic and Bob had made it up.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two mental associations with Filey:

1. Their higher-than-expected number of appearances on It's A Knockout when I was a kid

2. A piss-take in Viz, where the Filey Tourist Board were trying to start a rumour that Kylie was going to take a caravan holiday there ('It's Filey Minogue').
Actually, Filey was in Viz rather a lot.

Posts: 6400 | From: Old MŁnchen Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I would have put money on G.O. being the first to answer!

I think I passed through Filey once, but can't remember much about it. An ex (my Hull one) and I decided we'd go for a trip up the coast to Whitby. Whitby turned out to be 'Shitby' in reality, whereas the much-maligned/scorned Bridlington turned out to be probably the cleanest, best kept seaside town (if not any kind of town) I've ever been to (even if it is a bit tacky in its nature). So - maybe a visit to Bridlington for a day, M.E.? If nothing else, you can confirm for me if this remarkable spruce-ness of the place might have been down to the lack of people on the day we went.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about Filey and couldn't even pin a donkey-tail on it on a map, but I have to applaud the thread title.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Butlin's Filey twice as a kid/adolescent. The 2nd visit was memorable, apart from the drinking, for the nautical-themed bar that had windows into the pool (underwater), and the young woman in a crocheted bikini I watched doing a few lunchtime lengths therein.

All knocked down now though. But I do remember long stretches of beach, and when i went into Filey itself found a shop that had decent selection of Marvel comics.

Bet that helps

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filey was in Viz rather a lot

Well on my teenage visit I was surrounded by Geordies n Mackems. Their nearest Butlins by far.

And as i habitually bore current Toon fans by repeating, the gang of Geordies I mucked about with that week had a)black n white tartan scarves and b)sang 'Scotland' at away matches in London.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't spotted just how late I turn up for work these days Clive...

I've not been to Filey since 1969, when I had a serious case of diarrohea, and couldn't sleep all night, so I ended up reading 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea in one go. Other than that, I can recommend the Brigg as a place to play in rock-pools. And, er, that's it...

Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed near Filey a year or so back. Filey has a great beach, and a good traditional Victorian type promenade but like many British seaside towns, once you go back from the front a street or two itís a bit depressing.

Scarborough is just up the road though, which seems to have fared a bit better recently. Scarborough is great for kids; good arcade style tack on the south bay, and a bit ore genteel on the north side. Peasholm Park is great for the kids (north side) with a big boating lake, and mini train thing that takes you up to the aquarium.

Youíre pretty close to the North York Moors too; not far at all to Pickering where the North York Moors railway starts/ends, and a bit further away up the coast to Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay etc.

York isnít that far away for a day out too, where thereís loads of stuff to do. My son thinks the National Railway Museum at York is the best place in the world (itís free entry too).

Thereís quite a good WWII museum type place at Malton (very close to Filey) called Eden Camp which I recommend if youíre at all interested in stuff like that.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even heard of Filey.
But then there's loads of places up North Ive never heard of. like Yorkshire.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at university with a girl from Filey. But we didn't get on all that well.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The cantering captain
Member # 942

- posted      Profile for The cantering captain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The walk along the clifftops from Scarborough to Filey is about 8 miles and very pleasant, you can get the bus back. HIghlights when I went included

Dolphins / porpoise.

Strange lecherous man selling refreshments.

me - I'd like a giant snickers please.
Strange lecherous man - (leeringly) So what are you going to do with that then ?
me - er, eat it.

A woman who looks like a witch living in a hut, smoking cigars.

Scarborough is great, winking willies is the best chippy in my experience.

There is also Flamingo land, a sort of second rate Alton towers, with animals. It's on the way up there, not sure when it opens.

Posts: 1476 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filey's where I had my first 99. I thought it was called a 99 'cos it cost 9d.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filey has the biggest jellyfish washed up on it's beach. Proper huge bloody things they are.

Get yourself a proper portion of fish & chips too.

I love that stretch of coastline. Filey/Scarborough/Whitby/Robin Hood's Bay - it's all wonderful.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The walk along the clifftops from Scarborough to Filey is about 8 miles and very pleasant, you can get the bus back.
Crikey, it's quite a coincidence to see a post like that on here only two weeks after I've had a long weekend with the gf in North Yorkshire including, on one day, a clifftop walk from Filey to Scarborough. (The preceding day, we'd done the cliff-top walk from Robin Hood's Bay to Whitby.) It was fantastic, though to be fair it was very sunny and we didn't have any children with us.
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC