This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Google Earth, fly to ... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Google Earth, fly to ...
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's that, M.E?

I don't really want to put the coordinates on here, but it's perfectly possible to see my lad's
trampoline in my back garden with Google Earth.

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
+26 57' 23.96", +22 3' 31.79"

what are those things?

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Desalination tanks? Or some kind of facility to make water from substrata potable. Either that or some sort of chemical facility.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wanna see a place that doesn't show up (in detail) on regular paper maps? Try...

51*06'54.23"N 0*54'22.06"W

That's Oakhanger - a 'listening station' just west of Bordon, a major military town just down the road from me, here. I'm certain there's also radar 'golf balls' in those apparently discoloured fields just to the north of those co-ordinates above.

That is the kind of place where you get unmarked black Landrovers driving up behind you very suddenly if you dare to slow down.- A bit like Porton Down ...which is where I'm off to look at next!

Does anyone else have any 'places that don't officially exist' to contribute?

(edit: P.S. - how do you insert 'degree' symbols into your posts? Sorry for the patheticness!)

[ 24.03.2008, 00:06: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been interested in how these ultra-confidential (or high risk) buildings are typically the most conspicuous structures on earth (see also Nuclear Powerplants and their great architecture).
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Garcia, they look like farms to me. There's quite a lot of satellite imagery of these things. They'll have found a single borehole or underground reservoir and pump the water along a straight pipe (which is why they're in straight lines); and then they'll have those sprinklers which rotate from a central hub. It shows up incredibly well in desert regions because you have clearly circular irrigation contrasted against the arid sand.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pool at your apartment Reed. I never realized you lived right next to the beltway like that.
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, lot of greenery around where you live, Reed. Or maybe that's typical where you are, and I'm used to highway-adjacent apartments looking like some of the most depressing places in the world. Like this building in LA, snuggled in the transition road from the Harbor to the Santa Monica freeways in Downtown:

34 2'21.65"N 11816'20.73"W

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always interesting:

33 14'29.16" N, 115 57'09.00" W

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have always been interested in how these ultra-confidential (or high risk) buildings are typically the most conspicuous structures on earth (see also Nuclear Powerplants and their great architecture).
GCHQ and the MI6 building being the classic examples.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If by "interesting" you mean "hell-forsaken deathpit," then yes, the Salton Sea and its surroundings are interesting, Matej.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit weird people complaining about it dying when it's only there by accident in the first place.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can't work out what that stuff is on the salton sea coast - there are clear traces of settlements but they look abandoned?
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

For a brief time, there was a big effort to sell the area as a resort. A lot of planned developments gone unfinished.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of interesting information here.

I never knew that the pilot of the Enola Gay flew test runs over the Salton Sea or that it drew more people than Yosemite in the 1960s.

[ 25.03.2008, 19:20: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC