This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » More collective punishment (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: More collective punishment
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm baffled as to the need for that, but that's probably your problem more than mine.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But there's certainly no point in debating this issue here.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much more your problem, Lucy. Anyone who sympathises with what Israel is doing now can only be some kind of psychopath.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Edit- Parody of gerontophile's posts replacing Israel with Rwandan Hutus deleted on reflection for excessive snideness)

[ 04.03.2008, 10:28: Message edited by: You Are The Ref ]

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yeah. There is no point. Positions are entrenched and dogmatic, to the point where their proponents believe they are absolutely objective (as if they could be). It's pointless.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually my problem is less with Lucy's stated support for Israel (which after all he hasn't clarified in any way) and more with his ridiculous approach to the conversation which amounts to "There's no point telling you my view because you'll all disagree with me".
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

All conversation is pointless if that's the case. And you might wonder about the point of spending any time on a message board if that's your attitude.
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

Not really. I just think that on this topic, there's not much room for useful discussion due to a lack of maneouvrrability on both sides, cf. the interminable threads on Catholicism.
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

I did not mean to enter into any debate on this issue, hence my not giving any detail on my position. In my initial contribution, just wanted to express solidarity with Gerontophile, as it can be very lonely being in a corner on this board. Perhaps this would have been better as a PM - I can see how it could be interpreted as a wind-up, but I had hoped my non-aggressive tone would make my intention clear.
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
right, firstly apologies to all for my buggering off. I had been otherwise engaged. (Work, and some R&R)

The thing is, and I definitely didnt explain this clearly, I have no rational explanation as to why I support Israel. I had a very-pro Israel teacher at school, whom I respected, and some of his bias has almost certainly rubbed off. However that is almost 30 years ago, and I should have been intelligent enough to question his thoughts rather than blindly follow all as fact.

I didnt just come into this thread to be weighed under with howls of derision (however deserved they may be). However as I definitely did say upthread, it is a very definite blindspot which I have in my makeup.

I know that none of this explanation is good enough for this board, and especially on a thread of this type, which invokes extremely strong feelings, and I can only say sorry. I wont delete any of my posts or anything stupid like that, but I will think before I open my gob next time, when I clearly dont have the backup to do so.

I did open the link at the top to of course find, that I am an unfeeling shithead. Wyatt said something upthread about being for a pro-Israel homeland, and being anti-bombing the crap out of others to do so. That to me, seems eminently sensible.

My posts on Page 1 (and possibly 2) were callous and unthinking, and I am sorry for that.

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, yeah. There is no point. Positions are entrenched and dogmatic, to the point where their proponents believe they are absolutely objective (as if they could be). It's pointless.
Come off it. What you really mean is, whenever you try to post your controversial political views on here, you get slayed. With facts, not dogma.

gerontophile: out of genuine interest, can I ask: what happens to your blind spot when you see the mountains of evidence that the Israeli government/army are a bunch of murderous cunts?

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

quote:
Come off it. What you really mean is, whenever you try to post your controversial political views on here, you get slayed. With facts, not dogma.
If only I wasn't so easily distracted, I'D BE ABLE TO LEAD YOU ALL TO THE TRUTH.
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the fuck does that mean? What's the point of a post like that? How is that not trolling?
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

Erm, that was self-mocking.
SRD
Member # 56

- posted      Profile for SRD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
don't know how this country would react if it was surrounded by hostile nations and getting regular rocket attacks; I daresay pretty bloodily.
Israel is surrounded by Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria. It has peace treaties with two of those countries, and the other two pose no military threat to it whatsoever.

Hezbollah, which is based in Lebanon, has the capacity to conduct guerrilla raids against Israel, true. But it is a militia formed in response to aggression committed against Lebanon by Israel.

Posts: 609 | From: Kettering, UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC