This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Uribe Watch (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Uribe Watch
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Colombia's, eh,
colourful
ruler deserves his own thread at least as much as the president of neighbouring Venezuela. Here's a quick taster from the above link:

"He was educated at Harvard and Oxford, is as sharp as a tack, and a very able bureaucrat. At the tender age of 26 he was elected mayor of Medellín, the second-largest city of Colombia. The city’s elite in the 1980s was rich, corrupt and nepotistic, and they loved the young Uribe. But the new mayor was removed from office after only three months by a central government embarrassed by his public ties to the drug mafia. Uribe was then made Director of Civil Aviation, where he used his mandate to issue pilots’ licenses to Pablo Escobar’s fleet of light aircraft, which routinely flew cocaine to the United States..."

Meanwhile, here's Richard Gott on the recent assasinations in Ecuador:
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/richard_gott/2008/03/for_farcs_sake.html

[ 04.03.2008, 12:15: Message edited by: You Are The Ref ]

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uribe has, at least, bothered to deny links to Escobar. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/03/world/americas/03colombia.html?ex=1349064000&en=f0f17778beb1f007&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as I wrote on the Chavez thread, Uribe has zero credibility when it comes to peace deals.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the guy who presided over Escobar's hilltop 'jail' farce?

'Killing Pablo' is an excellent read by the way - miles better then 'Black Hawk Down', also by Mark Bowden.

The film is appearing next year according to IMDB.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean "Medellin" with Vincent Chase?
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about the legal problems of the White Sox shortstop.

-

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/03/03/1341714-correa-ecuador-was-in-talks-with-rebels

Coo, what are the chances, eh?

Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what do they know that we don't?
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's an astonishing typo on line 4 for Reuters to miss!
Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Falklands factor innit? A needless foreign skirmish can often raise a leader's popularity.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'His strongest supporters are gathering signatures in support of a measure to change the constitution to allow him to run for an unprecedented third term in 2010.'

Well he's obviously a dictator in the making.

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How high did Thatcher go in the polls after the Falklands, E10? 82% just seems insanely high for a country with as many problems as Colombia...and if that's the reason, it doesn't suggest that FARC is sitting on a wellspring of public support...
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

Oh FARC are massively unpopular. They have no real urban base at all. But it's simplistic and inaccurate to portray Colombia's situation as FARC v Uribe. I don't doubt that Uribe's policies have reaped him some popularity gains but in a country in which trade unionists, journalists, teachers and human rights activists are regularly abused, tortured and killed (Colombia has the highest rate of TU killings in the world), other issues need to be factored in when you analyse how people might respond in opinion polls.

[ 14.03.2008, 11:49: Message edited by: E10Rifle ]

Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

Well, I guess this is my question. Colombia seems like a functioning two-party or even three-party system. Political power does change hands between parties. Why don't the TUs have more power? Why isn't there a political party willing to defend them? How does Uribe's maintain this level of popularity given this?

I know zilch about Colombia, you understand. I've heard about the death squads, etc. - but I've never understood their relation to established political parties (my understanding - perhaps quite faulty - is that these death squads have operated under different regimes more or less unchanged). Can anyone point to any good sources on this?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC