This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Margaret Hodge has gone completely insane (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Margaret Hodge has gone completely insane
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a paragraph in this article which is not astonshingly dense in utter wrongness.

I keep wondering which piece of blathering drivel to highlight. Perhaps this is a start:
quote:

She also suggested that British citizenship ceremonies be held in historic British buildings like castles, theatres and museums to help people "associate their new citizenship with key cultural icons".

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I had so many "where to start?" moments in trying to get my head round Hodge's now-customary nonsense.

The lengths NewLabour people will go to avoid talking about Actual Politics are now quite staggering.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading that, and nuDave on his Tory Facebook initiative, I began to wonder if someone had put acid in the water at Westminster.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, it stops me having to think of a thread title...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Held in British buildings, you know, castles, theatres, museums and that. Things what England has given the world... culture, sophistication, genius; bit more than a bloody hot dog, know what I mean?

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that Harold Shand?
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latter part is, yeah.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The audiences for some of many of our greatest cultural events - I'm thinking particularly of the Proms - is still a long way from demonstrating that people from different backgrounds feel at ease in being part of this,"
Is she aware there's more than one night of Proms?

There's a proper argument to be had about how white "high" culture is, but it would be better if she didn't have any part in it.

[ 04.03.2008, 17:22: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or politics.
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what? I have so many times to start a response to this ludicrous statement and just keep on going "Why, why, why" endlessly. I am virtually speechless as to the stupidity of it all.

Has there actually been a directive from NewLabour offically that pop stars and footballers should be role models for our children yet or is that the next one?

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

TV and radio shows "from Coronation Street to the Archers"

Truly, she understands a very wide range of British culture, and wants clearly the most inclusive approach to the very best Britain can offer...

Lardinho
Member # 1208

You've got to love this:

And Mrs Hodge added that talk of national mottos and shared values had to be backed up with "equal economic and educational life chances" if they were to mean anything to ordinary people.

Yes. You back up national mottos with equal chances. Equal chances aren't a goal in themselves, are they? They're just a useful tool in backing up national mottos and shared values.

Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BOTD has just given me a Tom Jones earworm.

The Archers? Inclusive of British culture?

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oi, they have gay and black people on there now.
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ministers can have no real influence on what national "mottos" or "values" are, or even whether they have any meaning or worth, which they mostly do not. Their job is to do politics - and as it happens this government hasn't been too bad on this in some respects, with free museum entry and the likes.

I went to the proms last year for the first time - it was pretty good, about a quarter of the price of the average football or cricket match, and you get to stand. It's one of the more economically inclusive major entertainment events in London, even if its clientele are not, particularly.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC