This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Margaret Hodge has gone completely insane (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Margaret Hodge has gone completely insane
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The major issue is that it isn't up to the art to be inclusive (unless, arguably, it is recieving public subsidy. Is the Proms?)

Reggae doesn't have to be inclusive. Stand-up comedy doesn't have to be inclusive. Graffitting doesn't have to be inclusive and "Harry Potter" doesn't have to be inclusive. Neither do they have reflect "Britishness",British values or whatever.

Gah, I have been sucked in

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slight tangent but this could inspire could old Margret. When you go to school in Geneva, you get to do a civic course, learning about our glorious Republic and explaining to immigrant kids what's that chocolate pot eating business all about (Escalade). You then attend a ceremony where a local politician tell you have civic pride, you sing the local anthem (which most kids do know as they sing it to get money from folks during that Escalade business) then you get given a book. In my days it used to take place in a place called "Victoria Hall", a small neo-classical building used for theather amongst other things and built in honor of that queen of yours...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the proms last year for the first time - it was pretty good, about a quarter of the price of the average football or cricket match, and you get to stand. It's one of the more economically inclusive major entertainment events in London, even if its clientele are not, particularly.

That is the thing about the Proms. There is no reason for them not to be more inclusive, but that it isn't is not their problem. They lay on classical music for sensible prices, at sensible times, throughout the summer so on any day you may want to go there is a concert. Possibly most importantly, you can turn up in casual clothes/jeans/etc. and get in without a second glance.
It's not about posing or networking, it's about the music.

That classical music doesn't have a particularly great cultural penetration beyond the middle classes is a whole different issue.

Of course, the last night is hideous. But I'm pretty sure most attendees of the last night attend very few other Proms in the season, and those who attend throughout the season give the last night a miss.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC did pick out a black face or two at the Last Night, when I last watched it, funnily enough. It seems, as you say, that it's about proms/classical music in general more than the last night, whatever one thinks of all that stuff.

I don't see any reason to take an audience at a prom should be asked to stand for Britain any more than the audience at We Will Rock You. As regards subsidy, it's there to achieve a range (or "diversity") of stuff, and classical music needs subsidy. The question of diversity (of spectators) won't go away entirely from public money but it shouldn't be pushed too far in this case. I'd like to see it tied (if at all) to effort to attract a diverse audience- marketing and ticket pricing. I suspect Hodge would go much further and try and take money away, but who's to say any group should like classical music more than any other type? It's a different question to football where it is alarming that eg very few Asians in Blackburn go to watch the side.

More controversial I think is the New Labour pronunciation recently that they'll be concentrating on funding "the best" arts. Why should it go on a professional choir rather than lots of amateur ones? Or buying a Turner for the nation rather than supporting lots of watercolour groups? Isn't active better than passive, given the social networks you get? Obviously you need both.

I was just chewing the fat on this the other day with Professort Simon Frith, as it happens!

[ 06.03.2008, 09:34: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC