This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » He failed his saving throw (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: He failed his saving throw
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only threw out my two 20-sided dice (one red, one black - the chaos colours) about 2 weeks ago, after finding them in a box somewhere.

You don't think that had anything to do with...

...No, that would be just silly!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure D&D is the kind of thing you can go back to. Once you're done, you're done. Aren't you?
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm not sure D&D is the kind of thing you can go back to. Once you're done, you're done. Aren't you?

Yeah, you just wake up one morning and think "My god! I've wasted my life!" It normally coincides exactly with the onset of puberty.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just impressed about a guy who had a surname that would fit right in to the geeky worlds he created. Gygax, Deathwhacker Supreme!
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the lads I used to play with in Geneva was also called Gygax...

I have kept my stuff in a bok, dice, rule book, the lot. An enjoyable time of my life, met some great people.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quality eulogy here . I especially like the last part about his failed attempt to start playing again.

I've thought about that. Trying to find a way back into the imagination I had when I was 11, but then real life always interferes.

[ 10.03.2008, 03:07: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never came across this subculture until university. I was part of the lefty end of the party crowd, or perhaps the party end of the lefty crowd, so we didn't really intersect, but some mates of mine shared a house with some D&D enthusiasts. I couldn't see then, and can't really see now, how it could possibly be more fun than what my lot were up to. Not post-puberty.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much, I wouldn't think. But I think at least for North American males who grew up before video games were any good, D&D was more or less what you automatically did after discovering Tolkien.

I don't remember being especially imaginative about this...as I recall, I was also very interested in military history at the time, and so my interests were rather in the large battle-sequences rather than the hobbits creeping around caves stuff. You know, sort of: "would the Battle of Agincourt have been substantially different had it been elves v. orcs rather than english v. french?" Derivative rather than imaginative.

But it did distract me from the general disaster of being 12 or 13, and for that I still remember it fondly. That Monster Manual graphic Reed posted a bit earlier made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the rule systems of role playing games that fascinate me, I could pore endlessly over them. Actually having to sit down and play the things is too much of a chore.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scotian42
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Scotian42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at a wedding this weekend where, because of the significance of D&D in their lives, the bride and groom, between the best man's toast and the first dance, had a toast to Gary's memory. It was interesting to see who knew what was going on and who didn't.

There was morris dancing, too, but that's another discussion, I think.

Posts: 252 | From: The Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't discover D&D until I was in my early 20s, so was a late arrival to all this. I only got into it because the chap who was hosting the games (the "Game Master", as he liked to style himself) had this incredibly hot girlfriend. I refused to allow my imagination the leeway to determine what it was that she saw in him.

Anyway, I played it on and off for a year or so, then used the dice and some of the rules to create a fantasy football style game, and everyone deserted the Game Master and his incredibly hot girlfriend to play my footy game instead.

Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried D&D a few times but my group of friends far preferred Talisman. Now that was some fricken game. Throw in petty rivalries and underage drinking and you have a recipe for minutes of fun.
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tratorello
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for tratorello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was ridiculously into RPGs as a teenager, partly due to having a saturday job just round the corner from "Orc's Nest" on Earlham Street, near Covent Garden.

I would work for 3 hours on a saturday morning and then go and spend all my money on lead miniatures or rule supplements and 'scenarios'.

Paranoia, a comic sci-fi game loosely based on "1984", and Judge Dredd were my favourites, although I had tonnes of Warhammer figures and occasionally would manage to convince some of my less geeky friends to come around and play out some skirmishes.

I must admit though that I spent far more time reading the books and visiting the local Games Workshop than ever actually playing.

Posts: 1718 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine got a Marvel Comics version of this game for Xmas one year (we were in our 20's, like).

We opened the box with some anticipation.

Upon looking over the manual that accompanied the bits and pieces we concluded that this game was never going to be played (at least not by us).

Reading over a few of the posts in this thread it has occurred to me that I have A'AD&D'DD (LOL, damn you).

[ 10.03.2008, 13:33: Message edited by: Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard ]

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A'AD&D'DD
Aren't they a Dutch non-league team?
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC