This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » holidays in the US and other places (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: holidays in the US and other places
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was shocked to see that FF does not get good friday and easter monday off.

I knew they got a rotten deal on holidays in the US but that is really shit.

Bank holidays in the UK

New years day
Good Friday
Easter Monday
May day
Spring bank Holiday
August bank holiday
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

I make that 8.

In my job I get 3 extra days at Christmas becasue we close down then. Also I'm just about to get a new contract that gives me 30 days leave.

Including bank holidays I'll get a total of 41 week days off.

Is it true that most US companies only give 10 days leave?

How do you deal with that?

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my job, we get 10 nationally celebrated holidays:

New Years Day - Tuesday, January 1st
Presidents' Day - Monday, February 18th
Memorial Day - Monday, May 26th
Independence Day - Friday, July 4th
Labor Day - Monday, September 1st
Thanksgiving Day - Thursday, November 27th
Day After Thanksgiving - Friday, November 28th
Christmas Day - Thursday, December 25th
Day after Christmas - Friday, December 26th
***Floater Day*** - Your Choice

The last one is given because there are holidays that some people might want to take that others wouldn't, like Good Friday or Martin Luther King Day.

As a general rule, employees who get paid time off (not everyone does) begin with ten days. The amount of time off can increase with years of employment with the same company, but this isn't always the case. In my case, I will get a total of 30 week days off this year (but that's because I've been with the same company longer than ten years).

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and we deal with it because it's all we know. Being awarded paid time off work is a privilege here, not a right. Sad but true.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head: New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day (mid-Jan), Memorial Day (last Monday in May), July 4th, Labor Day (1st monday in September), Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day. Everyone also tends to get some variation of Presidents Day in February, Columbus Day in September, Veterans Day (11/11), New Years Eve, and maybe the day after Thanksgiving. Some of those are federal/state holidays but not necessarily for private industry.

And yes, 10 days/2 weeks leave is standard. More than that is definitely an exception. And never mind cross post

[ 06.03.2008, 03:42: Message edited by: jefe ]

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

You did well listing them off the top of your head; I had to copy and paste from an email.
Melbourne Arab
Member # 1389

- posted      Profile for Melbourne Arab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As is often the case on OTF, UK is being used when it should really be England since holidays are not the same. Scotland has 2 days holiday at New Year, a different holiday in August and, unless things have changed since I emigrated, I never got Easter Monday as a holiday.

Holidays in Australia vary from state to state. In Victoria, there are 10 statutory days:

New Year's Day
Australia Day
Labor Day
Good Friday
Easter Monday
Anzac Day
Queen's Birthday
Melbourne Cup
Christmas Day
Boxing day

Posts: 854 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New Year's Day - Jan. 1
Good Friday - March 21
Easter Monday - March 24
Victoria Day - May 19
Canada Day * - July 1
Labour Day - Sept. 1
Thanksgiving Day - Oct. 13
Remembrance Day- Nov. 11
Christmas - Dec. 25
Boxing Day - Dec. 26

Plus, in Ontario, Family Day [third Monday of February] and Civic Holiday [first Monday of August]

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

Why does Canadia Day have an asterisk?
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of people get only two weeks vacation or none at all.

I'm relatively lucky, I get three (because I've been there a while) plus three "personal days" (the difference is that they don't roll over) plus we get three free days in the summer (we used to get those around Christmas but Elsevier's international policy is for free summer days, so we have to conform to that) plus the holidays that FF gets, plus pretty much as many sick days as I need which lately has been a few.

We can only roll over a certain number of days from year to year and even then we have to use them by March.

I think I'm going to end up leaving some on the table this year. I can't afford to go anywhere. One of the reasons I don't travel abroad is because it seems like a lot of money to spend for such a short time. I guess I could go for maybe two weeks, but then I wouldn't have much time left over to see my family at Christmas and the other assorted mental health days that I need from time to time.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, let's see...

Five weeks paid holidays per year.

Ten paid sick days per year (you can take up to three days at a time without a note from the doctor).

Ten paid days caring for sick child. I think this increases by five days per additional child you have.

Christmas eve and New Year's Eve we get half the day off or more.

Christmas day and Boxing day
New Year's Day
Thursday, Friday and Monday at Easter

And the month of May usually has several days off;

- May Day (first of May, international workers' day)
- 17th of May (Independence Day)
- Ascension Day (usually in May/June)
- Whitmonday

I think that's pretty much it.

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bank holidays in the UK
They're different in different parts of the UK. For example, the second of January is a holiday in Scotland.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FF - quick clarification, your 30 days off include the bank holidays or not?
Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[canadian pedantry]

- Easter Monday is not a stat holiday in Canada.
- The February holiday is statutory in Alberta and Ontario (where it is known as "Family Day"), and in Manitoba (where it is known as "Louis Riel Day" in honour of the only man in history to lead a violent revolution to get people into Canada.)
- Quebec has St.Jean Baptiste day on the 24th of June, but does not have the August long weekend.
- The August long weekend is officially known as "Simcoe Day" in Ontario
- Remembrance Day is not a stat holiday in either Ontario or Quebec (though federal public servants get the day off)
- Stampede Parade Day might as well be a stat holiday in Calgary because the entire town drinks itself silly from about 10 AM onwards.
- Most of the country unofficially observes "Fuck It Day", which refer to any day between November and March where you look outside at the amount of snow/wind/sleet/freezing rain and say to yourself "fuck it, I'm not going out there".

[/canadian pedantry]

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Stat" holiday? The first time I assumed it was a typo for "state", but since it got repeated so often I assume you meant it. "Statistical holiday"? "At once holiday"?

[Edit:Ah, statutory]

[ 06.03.2008, 09:40: Message edited by: ad hoc ]

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, is that not a term everyone uses?

Yes, statutory. Though statistically works, too since, on average, you'll not find people working on those days.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC