This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » holidays in the US and other places (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: holidays in the US and other places
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LC? - Yes, my 30 includes the 10 bank holidays.

I also get unlimited sick time, but if we take more than a certain number of consecutive sick days, we have to have a note from the doctor (a death certificate is actually preferred for more than three days' absence).

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What kind of reason would someone give for not wanting to celebrate Martin Luther King day?
Just that they wanted to take another day off instead. There are loads of religious and local holidays around the country. MLK Day was just an example.

We started having the floater day when we expanded the company outside of Boston. In Boston, there is a holiday called Patriots Day (it has nothing to do with the football team, btw). It's the day they run the Boston Marathon, so they've made it a work holiday to facilitate being able to close off streets for the race without causing major problems for commuters. Patriots Day is not a holiday in New York, so the folks who work in that office are allowed to choose another day instead.

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember/find all the Spanish holidays, but one factor that intervenes there is that if the specific date celebrated falls on a weekend, you don't get the Monday instead or anything.

Ms. Felicity was working for Madrid council in schools and got very pissed off that a series of 'festivos' were cruelly torn from her grasp.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scotian42
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Scotian42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get 10 days vacation, plus 8 holidays. Vacation goes up to 15 after 10 years with the company. When I explain this to my European counterparts in our company, they are always shocked. A colleague of mine in Switzerland asked "How do you live like that?" She gets 25 days vacation, plus, I think, 12 holidays. We're barbarians in some ways, I guess.
Posts: 252 | From: The Before Time, in the Long, Long Ago | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was shocked to see that FF does not get good friday and easter monday off.
There's an Easter on Monday now?

If I had a job, I'd be pissed at how few holidays I got, but getting weekdays off for religious days--other than Christmas--would make me uneasy.

As a federal employee, Mrs. Inca gets Columbus Day off. That always pissed me off, because I never got that off from school.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just that they wanted to take another day off instead. There are loads of religious and local holidays around the country. MLK Day was just an example.
Yeah, at my dad's work, it's one day off between MLK Day or Presidents' Day--you only get one, so you have to choose between the two.

The state of California observes Cesar Chavez's birthday as a holiday, which would have affected me when I was teaching and in school, except it falls during Spring Break, so I was off already.

Something I've never understood--what's the purpose of a bank holiday? As I understand it, most everyone has it off, so most everything else besides banks are closed?

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Columbus is not holiday worthy. I prefer to think of it as Canadian Thanksgiving.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll set a place for you next year.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With bagels.
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't remember/find all the Spanish holidays, but one factor that intervenes there is that if the specific date celebrated falls on a weekend, you don't get the Monday instead or anything.

Ms. Felicity was working for Madrid council in schools and got very pissed off that a series of 'festivos' were cruelly torn from her grasp.

But on the flip side, there is the system of "bridge" days, whereby if the holiday falls on a Tuesday or Thursday you get the extra day off in order to make it a long weekend. I have this memory of getting a whole week off the year I was there because the 6th and 8th of December (which were both holidays of some sort) fell on a Tuesday and Thursday, thus invoking a "viaducto".
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ad hoc, the "stat" used on ER means "immediately", not "statistics". It think it has its origins in Latin.

It is one of those "don't scare the civilians" things, like the "Mr. Sands" announcements on the underground.

Anyway, though nowhere near as varied as Germany (where the summer school vacations are also staggered by Land) Italy has some regional variations, particularly in respect of patron saint's days, which can be a big deal in some places (St. Ambrogio in Milan is the traditional opening night of La Scala (a huge gala which is broadcast nationally) and much beloved for its making possible a long weekend "bridge" when added to the national holiday for the Immaculate Conception on the next day).

Our standard holiday provision for lawyers is 20 days (going up to 25 for the more senior), plus the holidays listed below. It isn't unusual for lawyers not to use their full vacation allotment due to the pressure of work (I don't think I ever used all of mine except for the year we were married)

January 1st New Year’s Day
March 21st Good Friday
March 24th Easter Monday
April 25th Liberation Day
May 1st Labor Day
June 2nd Founding of the Republic
June 29th St. Peter & Paul (Rome only)
August 15th Assumption Day
November 1st All Saints Day
December 7th St. Ambrogio (Milan only)
December 8th Immaculate Conception
December 24th Christmas Eve
December 25th Christmas Day
December 26th Boxing Day
December 31st New Year’s Eve

I think that is the full list of possibles, not of all will be given in any particular year, as they generally are not "made up" when they fall on a weekend (though the days are often "replaced" by an extended Xmas break, etc.)

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
September and October look a bit of a struggle...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't see any viaductos when we were there (excluding the Segovia one, boom-boom).

Then again Madrid is run by the PP, so maybe they were less generous.

Viaductos (or indeed 'ponts') are much more common in France. Sarkozy no doubt has his eyes on them too.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

Inca - I think the term 'bank holiday' is interchangeable with our term 'federal holiday' and simply means that the banks are closed that day, along with practically everything else. I don't know if they get postal deliveries on bank holidays, however.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As I understand it, most everyone has it off...
That was certainly true before we had kids.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC