This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Motorbike advice required (WoM to thread) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Motorbike advice required (WoM to thread)
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow Clive, 180mpg? Amazing!

Oh OK, it's a diesel. That's such a funny sounding engine on a motorcycle, check out the 4th and 5th videos in your link.

The one downside of running a biodiesel fuel bike is that you'd get a constant craving for french fries.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a 2001 KLR 650 at a used bike place near my house. They're asking $3,100. Thinking...thinking...
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's the mileage?
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Say No To Vorderman
Member # 1534

- posted      Profile for Just Say No To Vorderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steveee...my advice is to not do it..i went through a bike phase about ten years ago..you will have tumbles and you will be at the mercy of every mad car/truck/bus driver on the roads..having said that i was never hit by another vehicle but i was seriously scared several times..and the accident i did have was caused by me hitting a high kerb and somehow doing a wheelie before demolishing a parked fiat...it was a hell of a buzz to be honest but quickly forgotten next time i had to ride in a serious rainstorm(which is what made me realise it was a crazy thing to be doing). if you must get a bike my recommendation is a Harley as you're less likely to kill yourself on one and you 'll feel like Dennis Hopper as you ride one
Posts: 1735 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

I disagree about the Harleys being safer JSNTV. they are not, because (1) they are not very manoeuvarable and (2) you wouldn't want to get caught under one.

I only had one serious crash in my life, while riding a Honda XL250. my foot ended up under the bike crushing my ankle, but I got over that in a few months because the bike was pretty light. I can't imagine the damage with a bike twice the weight.

Harleys are essntially designed to cruise American highways. Besides being grossly overpriced, they aren't as practical for a cramped and crowded city like Lisbon.

Steveee, if you're really familiar with the local driving habits and are comfortable riding a bicycle around town, the upgrade to a motorcycle shouldn't be risky. I think most of the risk comes from riding when you're pretty young. it's hard to overcome the rush in adrenaline and exhiliration that comes with riding, you will tend to take too many chances and don't ride defensively enough. I don't ride today like I used to when I was 20.

steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for all the advice.

In terms of riding in the city, I sort of have no fear at all, much as you say linus, because I'm so used to cycling in cities.

The one thing that terrifies me is losing control of a bike at high speed. I've read lots of stuff about the slightest spill of diesel making bikers lose control, It's that uncontrollable aspect that really scares me.

I find trail bikes a little ugly, but I guess if they're cheap and do the job I shouldn't complain.

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while since I owned a bike, but my advice would be to try and skip the small engined bikes as quickly as possible.

In general, bigger, more powerful, bikes are much safer to ride than smaller ones for several reasons. They are more visible to the motorist, they handle better, and have much better brakes, they put more and better quality rubber on the road, so they are less likely to skid, and their greater weight and superior suspension will allow them to ride bumps better.

Also a more powerful engine will give you the confidence to assume a more dominant position where a more feeble machine will cause you to struggle to maintain your position in the traffic.

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC