This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » London mayoral elections (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: London mayoral elections
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's said he won't scrap the CC, and will merely consult on whether to keep the western extension, Hobbes.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I cycled over to Ladbroke Grove the other day. My standard route was disrupted 4 or 5 times by roadworks. It is just shambolic.
Who's digging the holes? There was some knuckle-dragger in the Harry O the other week blaming the council for the disruption caused by road-works. Which were being carried out by whatever grubby little company it is that makes its profits from the gas network.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think almost all the holes at the moment are built by Ken's sewer monkeys. It's a long term massive project to replace the sewers, and therefore the kind of thing someone could have actually done some logistics on in advance and not created such a complete dog's dinner.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, you mean the work done by the heavily profit-making Thames Water plc. Who have the right to dig holes wherever and whenever they want to, with no council (local or regional) redress...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

I don't think they're Thames Water holes, but couldn't be entirely sure. Of course, any competent mayor would make sure proper restrictions are put in place on who can dig up the roads, and if they are doing it as an emergency measure to have to provide evidence of the necessrity.
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

The right of councils to organise or restrict hole digging was removed in the late eighties.
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I utterly loathe Boris Johnson with a passion and want to see him beaten in this election more than I've wanted to see anyone beaten in a British election since 1997.

The man is a nasty, right-wing, racist, bumbling cunt, and anyone who says they're going to vote for him really goes down in my estimation.

As TonTon says, it's hard to beat Purves Grundy's immortal description of "a cunt in twat's clothing".

I'll probably be voting Green first, Ken second in the election, although I could yet be persuaded by Brian Paddick, who seems like a thoroughly decent man.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The man is a nasty, right-wing, racist, bumbling cunt, and anyone who says they're going to vote for him really goes down in my estimation."

What he said.

Also, hang on a minute, replacing water mains is essential, not least for environmental reasons - have you seen how much water gets wasted whenever one of these things springs a leak?

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's legitimate to be concerned about Ken's cronyism, but if your concerns get to the point where you're happy to hand over London to another of the Old Etonian cadre that makes up the top of the Tory Party, it's a case of "out of the frying pan".
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

I'm not complaining that they are replacing the water mains. I'm complaining that nobody seems to have planned it with any thought for the people that actually live in the city.
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You forget: Boris Johnson is a worthless piece of shit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club

quote:

The Club's modus operandi has often been to book a private dining room under an assumed name, as most restaurateurs are wary of the club's reputation for causing considerable drunken damage during the course of the dinners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_Guppy

quote:

Guppy was recorded telephoning Boris Johnson and asking him for the address of News of the World journalist Stuart Collier who had reported on Earl Spencer's private life. Guppy had wished to retaliate by assaulting the reporter. On the tape, Johnson agreed to help after being reassured that the reporter would not be seriously injured.

Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm voting for Boris.
Sorry, but, you know, I can respect neither that decision, nor the decision to be, apparently, on first-name terms with the vile racist scumbag.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not complaining that they are replacing the water mains. I'm complaining that nobody seems to have planned it with any thought for the people that actually live in the city.
Well, that's Conservatives in power for you.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that anyone concerned with public transport and infrastructure in the capital would vote for arch-Thatcherite Boris Johnson is just... incalculably absurd. He's from the Tory hard right that despises the public sector, and indeed despises the idea of local government as anything more than the occasional meeting to divvy up contracts. If you think cronyism and misappropriation of funds is bad under Livingstone- and I agree- you aint seen nothing until Johnson and his friends in big business and the city get their hands on the budget.

And does anyone think you can elect a straight up racist like Johnson to be Mayor of a city like London without seriously stoking racial tensions?

If privatisation, neo-liberal dogmatism and racism are what floats your boat, politically, then by all means vote for him, though.

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and what Wyatt said- what's this 'Boris' shit?
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC