This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » London mayoral elections (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: London mayoral elections
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, that's a totally different kettle of ball games.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lardinho has flagged up the crap cycling policy.
To be fair, they have just announced a £500m package of improvements to London's cycling facilities.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give Ken (very limited) kudos on housing, in that he's at least introduced stipulations on 'affordable housing' on all new developments, though it's nowhere near enough on its own to solve the affordable homes crisis.

Anyway, here's some more Boris-isms (cribbed from a posting on another forum, so can't vouch for 100 per cent accuracy and can't be arsed to check at this late hour)

quote:
'The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge any more... Consider Uganda, pearl of Africa, as an example of the British record. ... the British planted coffee and cotton and tobacco, and they were broadly right... If left to their own devices, the natives would rely on nothing but the instant carbohydrate gratification of the plantain. You never saw a place so abounding in bananas: great green barrel-sized bunches, off to be turned into matooke. Though this dish (basically fried banana) was greatly relished by Idi Amin, the colonists correctly saw that the export market was limited... The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty. (Spectator 2 February 2002)

quote:
'none was hotter than the shadow social security secretary, David Willetts. Round and round he twirled, squiring one Tory filly after another, until flushed and satiated they could take no more. Around him we moved in our admiring orbits, old beldames, jigging white-haired captains of industry, but none was faster than Willetts... Why was the evening such a success? There is one measurement I hesitate to mention, since the last time I did, I am told, the wife of the editor of the Economist cancelled her subscription to the Daily Telegraph in protest at my crass sexism. It is what is called the Tottometer, the geiger-counter that detects good-looking women. In 1997, I reported, these were to be found in numbers at the Labour conference. Now - and this is not merely my own opinion - the Tories are fighting back in a big way. ' (The Spectator 10
February 2001)

quote:
‘More important, I am not sure how widespread this new righton mood really is. Metropolitan opinion was wrong-footed over Section 28, where the public thought differently from New Labour; and three days after the event it was clear that the country did not agree with the editorialists on the verdict passed on Tony Martin. You can say that William Hague is opportunist to see the gap between the polite view and the public view. But you can't deny that he is right to go for it.’
(The Spectator 29 April 2000)

quote:
‘the essence of that Tory case is unchanged... it is more sensitive to spare parents' anxieties, than to allow Left-
wing local authorities to waste taxpayers' money on idiotic and irrelevant homosexual instruction.’ (Daily Telegraph 3 August
2000)

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Ken could have even more kudos on housing now he's adopted our policy.
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christ, some clown called John Ross has just really lost it on The Politics Show. He seems to be another of these appointed adviser types. He came across as a really nasty piece of work. He tried all the "let me answer stuff", didn't answer it 5 times and then started shouting "Why aren't you asking me about Darius Guppy?" or something- he'd earlier tried "Boris Johnson's £100m whole in transport plans" but gave up. No doubt members of staff who query fraudulent expense claims will get shouting told they should be doing something more important in the big picture as well.

I think these advisers are the problem, more even that greasypole climbing councillors.

[ 09.03.2008, 13:20: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few people have been remarking a certain lack of interest from Brown in Livingstone's campaign. This could all be personal, but it's probably more down to the Thatcher-Blair view that local government shouldn't "undo" all the good central government does ie show the slightest independence or do anything about climate change or housing. In a choppy waters way, he's probably happier having something he can attack.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brown does hate Ken though, probably more than Blair did. And I'm sure the feeling's mutual (it should be really, given how much Brown's done in the past to fuck Livingstone over).

I guess, to get all choppy-waters about it, it does indeed suit both to keep their distance from each other. Livingstone's appeal, even now, is based on Not Really Being Like The Rest. Which is why it's been rather amusing lately to see all these lickspittle Blairites, who denounced Ken like mentallists eight years ago, scuttling around campaigning for him.

Talking of which, LP branch meeting calls. Must dash.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

Labour and the Greens do a deal
TonTon
Member # 41

I love the way Ken reciprocates by urging Labour voters to vote Green second pref.
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of Klaus Wowereit doing a deal with the PDS in Berlin - something based on city politics which has national importance.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

Ok, who remembers this quote:

quote:
Every year the international financial system kills more people than World War Two. But at least Hitler was mad, you know?

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Those bloody free papers are a new presence in an election. Unremittingly anti-Livingstone, they must have an effect. Most people seem to glance at them. Not all have the vote but plenty do.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC