This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Help me prepare for Hike and Run... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help me prepare for Hike and Run...
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have got used to not actually adding years onto my age, its not somehting I have ever done out of vanity, just I never really feel as old as I should. Anyway, was a rude awakining the other day when it was pointed out that I was actually 35 this year and so I have decided to try and embrace it - well kind of...

I may look it, but i am certainly not athletic in any way, I struggle to do any meaningful excersie and so, with that in mind, its madness what I have decided to do on a whim - I have decided to do the 3 Peaks Hike in July and then run - HAHAHAHAHA- the Leeds half marathon in September!

Any tips on these events if you have done similar will be really welcome. And the directions to the nearest Chippy in the 3 Peaks area would not go a miss either!

Also - Any dontations would be really welcome:

What an idiot...

Cheers

[ 12.03.2008, 09:59: Message edited by: Battylad ]

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nearest Chippy in the 3 Peaks area

I thought Chippy was in Oxford...?

(sorry!)

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

- posted      Profile for Battylad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As in Fish and Chippy!

As it turns out, it seems there is none and I have had some horror stories about the Peaks thing - but still, determined to give it ago!

Posts: 2790 | From: On a Distant Sun... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batty, you better start training asap otherwise that 3 Peaks walk will be a nightmare, it's a serious challenge, with an Alpine level of altitude gain as well as a long distance walk.

Go to get some top notch boots and then hit the Dales asap. You might want to set aside some time for that in replacement of your football activities btw...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

Thanks - Boots on the way - started running last night - also doing gym work. Only got 10 or so games left this season, so will try to fit them in :-)

Thank you for your advice though - I undertook this on a whim, it seems that there is much more to it - but the fiath shown by people in me so far is humbling and its really spurring me on...

Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most important is to work on your gats so that you look impressive in the post even pics as you cross the line.

Good luck.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Work on your stamina, running is ok but you basically need to go out there and you've got boots to break, you need them to be ready for a 30+ miles walk.

Give us a shout if you fancy a robust walk, I know a few in the Peak District and I'll be pleased to help you out with your training. I still need a companion for my Glossop-Edale walk (bit less than 20 miles)

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are gats?

[ 11.03.2008, 22:17: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

Mal - Thanks for the advice and thank you for the donation!

And yes, I echo reed - what are Gats?

Croute - I may take you up on that offer - forst up is one of the 3 peaks on Easter Sunday - at the moment busy getting hold of decent gear as I have ow been informed I shouldn't do this hike in trainers - what is the world coming to!

gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gats are big guns.

Batty, good luck, and if you PM your address, I have some tinfoil I forgot to send to Blue Peter 25 years ago that may help with the cause.

(Seriously, PM me)

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battylad
Member # 1334

PM sent - thank you in advance!

Also - today, after my first 2 mile jog on Monday night, my front thighs are killing - I am supposed to be jogging tonight - going to try for 3 times a week - but at the moment finding it hard to walk !! Any advice / Ideas??

gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your front thighs?

Malc... tell him

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

Nothing you can do Batty but suffer, this basically means that you legs are in serious need of muscling (to give you an example, when I started walking,a 10 miles walks would leave me in pain for two days, nowadays I can do two 15 miles walks in a row without any ill effect but that's because I've been out on dozens of walk).

Good idea for the walk on Easter sunday, it should give you a feel of the place and alllows you to test your equipment.

Battylad
Member # 1334

As you can tell, this is all a bit alien to me - not even played footy for 10ish years - but as a knock on to all this, I have been offered a chance to play in a 5 a side team on a Friday night to help me build up stamina - now that's something that I can sell tickets to watch - if people pay 40 quid to laugh at fat boy with a goatee beard dancing, imagine how much I could get for my charity cause!!!
Battylad
Member # 1334

You know when Top Gear do that star in a crap car thing and if its wet, they get a bonus kind of thing?

I just did 3 miles in fucking shit wind rain and freezing conditions - I nearly chucked up and my thighs are now on fire - I have just tryed to warm down - but due to the conditions, can I have a bonus half mile!!

I won't move again tonight!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC