This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » God Save The Queen. Now, where's the dole office? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: God Save The Queen. Now, where's the dole office?
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've no idea whether she's a nice old lady or not, but suppose she is. How does that merit "allegiance"? Mary three doors down is a nice old lady, but I can't claim to feel any "allegiance" to her.

Of course, she's one of these bogtrotters you know.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm pledging allegiance to Mary who lives three doors down from Wyatt. The Queen has enough. Nice little old ladies don't get enough allegiance

Who's with me?

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've already pledged allegiance to my Gran (and there's Welsh there if you go back far enough - the shame!).
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've pledged allegiance to the red, white and blue, sucker that stole the soul.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zombie
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Zombie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Steel in today's Indie :

Anyway, the thing is we just don't do oaths and pledges of allegiance because they're not British. And anyone who says otherwise should be told they've failed the test, don't understand our culture and have to go and live somewhere else.

Posts: 167 | From: Berkshire | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could have a question that asks: "Name five situations in which it would be suitable to stare blankly and mutter the phrase 'fucking Ada'."

I love Mark Steel. Thanks, zombie

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet
Member # 6498

- posted      Profile for Aldo Simoncini's Clean Sheet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another pathetic attempt to patch up the Union, which is taking an inevitable course towards seperation.

(Probably the most poignant line i've ever muttered here)

Posts: 714 | From: Anglesey, North Wales | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And girls will graduate if they've got a letter about what's annoying them published in The Daily Telegraph, such as: "Dear sir: It has come to my attention that the 'boys' who frequent Club 99 at the rear of the disused cinema in Swindon old town have, of late, appeared unrelentingly minging. One fears this is indicative of a general decline, like so much else these days, and makes one yearn for back in the day in like 2004, and that when they was like well fit. Yours sincerely
brilliant.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Labour Party, there. Marvellous.

I was just on my way out of teh country when this broke and didn't get a chance to find out the full proposals. Has this idea been smothered at birth, or is there any prospect at all that anything will come of it?

And what happens to someone who says "no"?

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And what happens to someone who says "no"?
You get sent to one of the new Commonwealth penal colonies, currently under construction in the Maldives, St. Lucia and Antigua.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back where they came from for them. Despicable foreign elements. British way of life don't you know. Marvellous. Don't like it, don't come here, what? Send 'em back.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't get a council tax or student fee rebate.

[ 13.03.2008, 11:54: Message edited by: Major Eazy ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The other tangle we get in is when we wonder why we can't be like Americans, who have no qualms making pledges to their country. But their pledge is to a set of ideas on which the country was founded, most of which evoked the rights of citizens and were fought for in opposition to the monarchy we're still being asked to subject ourselves to. So even most liberals feel comfortable with it, sensing they're signing up to the ideas of the founding fathers, and a flag that was carried in a war against slavery, and that recent presidents have betrayed those ideals.

Whereas we're asked to say something like: "We are truly grateful to live in a land where we are all judged on our efforts, and our actions as good citizens. And for this we give boundless praise to our almighty gracious glorious radiant majesty that she may bestow upon us these rights, oo she's marvellous, 82 and never stops, we are truly the most odious rancid sewage compared to thee."

What he said.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC