This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » God Save The Queen. Now, where's the dole office? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: God Save The Queen. Now, where's the dole office?
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PG: I think Goldsmith's idea is that it should be voluntary, but that you have to opt out rather than in.

It's a huge sweeping generalisation, but I wonder whether English Jews are more than usually prone to take an American-style view of Pride in Your Country, being one of the few established immigrant-descended communities in England without Empire baggage to make them sceptical of all that. One of the few such communities, in other words, to be a bit like "hyphenated Americans". Some of the views of some of my schoolmates were certainly consistent with that.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PG: I think Goldsmith's idea is that it should be voluntary, but that you have to opt out rather than in.
Ah.

So what exactly is the fucking point of this? How will giving people who feel no allegiance to The Queen the ability to opt out of a public oath of allegiance to The Queen make them feel any more inclined to give their allegiance to The Queen?

[ 13.03.2008, 12:13: Message edited by: Purves Grundy ]

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And will there be some sort of system whereby those that have opted in can be identified and persecuted? Perhaps a purple crown stitched to their clothing?
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Goldsmith's idea is that it should be voluntary, but that you have to opt out rather than in

Council tax and student fee rebates are suggested for people who volunteer - as well as a "Britishness" public holiday

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a huge sweeping generalisation, but I wonder whether English Jews are more than usually prone to take an American-style view of Pride in Your Country, being one of the few established immigrant-descended communities in England without Empire baggage to make them sceptical of all that.
Mike Leigh's Two Thousand Years deals with this to a certain extent. Here's what he said about his family: "In many ways, my parents in an unconscious way wanted to be as English as possible. They went to the theatre, to Stratford, to the Halle. My father only ever voted Labour. They were very bourgeois, very neurotic and very insular. "
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a huge sweeping generalisation, but I wonder whether English Jews are more than usually prone to take an American-style view of Pride in Your Country, being one of the few established immigrant-descended communities in England without Empire baggage to make them sceptical of all that.
It's an intriguing area to speculate on, but I think in this case, Occam's Razor points towards Goldsmith just sharing the usual New Labour hack's desire to slavishly imitate America.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that too.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect - or hope - nothing will come of it, that's another attempt to fly a bonkers headline-seeking kite as part of the New Labour elite's increasingly pathetic and desperate attempts to reignite their populist bravado of the early Blair years.

These fuckers are so stuck in a 1997 timewarp it's embarrassing. They've completely lost their moorings. They don't know who they're talking to or what their purpose is.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon an "I Swore Allegiance to the Queen" medal in the style of a Jim'll Fix It badge would be a big incentive.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

No, hang on... what would make the youth of today feel like they're making a really valuable contribution to modern society would be the chance to swear at the Queen. She could move along a line-up and each school leaver could get thirty seconds to deliver a stream of filthy expletives right in her face.

Then she gets the spit mopped off by an equerry and it's on to the next one.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC