This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » "Breaking News" (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Breaking News"
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are all making me feel ancient.

Coffy, were you in Calfornia for the Tate-LaBianco murders? I don't recall them being a big story back east, but my California friends all remember them pretty vividly.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we lived near Philadelphia then. That wasn't big news in the NY metro area, not even the murder of a movie star? I can't say how much coverage it got in the newspapers or TV, though; those are the only things I remember about it.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first I have a clear memory of is the Soviet closure of East Berlin which led to the building of the wall.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aberfan was one of those stories that I remember vividly. Reading about it in the papers and watching it on telly. I think pretty much all the victims were the same age as me.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the first "special report" (what they're usually called on American TV) I remember was the Challenger disaster. I know a lot of people watched this live, but that's the first major news event I can remember.

The most surreal has to be the OJ white Bronco chase, especially because I could look out my parents' front window and see all of the helicopters flying over the 91 Freeway.

[ 11.03.2008, 14:58: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember being round my mate's house watching True Lies in 1995 when the film was interrupted to bring us the news that Yitzhak Rabin has been shot dead.

I always get excited when stuff gets interrupted for "breaking news". Nothing wrong with that but it feels slightly weird.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iranian Embassy siege was the first... wait, was that before or after the Pope being shot?

I remember thinking that was such a big deal that I ran into the garden and shouted to my mum, "Mum! The Pope's been shot!" No idea why. We weren't Catholic, and he wasn't dead.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the first I remember, but Sky One (I think) showed old Simpsons episodes all day when Diana got all smashed in. It was fucking great, I watched for about three hours, getting really stoned in bed.

When 9/11 happened, I was round giving the drummer in my band a lift to buy a new bass drum shell. He was bouncing around really giddy, taping all the news. His daughter came in from school saying "they reckon it was the Japanese - in revenge for Pearl Harbour!!". Their father (an utter cunt) was sat in the corner of the living room, his face all screwed up like he'd already gone off to war.

I can't remember a specific earliest NEWS memory, though I do remember wondering what the fuck a "Warsaw Pact" was supposed to be.

Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of otfers remember where they were on the 11th of September, 2001. On otf. Worrying about FF, mainly...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amor comes through for me. Eternally grateful, as always.

And no, Coffy, I really don't remember Tate/Lo Bianco being a big story in NY.

This entire dynamic has changed dramatically with the advent of 24 hour cable news stations, which give Britney Spears' latest escapade the kind of coverage formerly reserved for a moon landing.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I seem to remember an episode of The Tripods being interrupted with the news that Prince Harry had been born.
You see - in an ideal world that would have been reversed ...or, better still, a real alien invasion.

<Come, alien overlords. We are ready. I await you.>

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think, for me, it was when Harold Wilson resigned.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

I was impressed by the way they managed to shoehorn Wilson's resignation into that evening's edition of The Archers...
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These shocks were nothing compared to the BBC leaving Lord's with Graham Gooch 299 not out v India to bring us a routine news and weather update. It wasn't as if it was hard to guess the weather that summer.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gt3
Member # 1591

- posted      Profile for gt3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's too much use of the phrase "Breaking News" on Sky and the BBC. They'll use it for anything rather than really important stuff.

The SAS going into the Iranian Embassy for me I reckon.

Posts: 1308 | From: the home of the Royal Artillery 1716 - 2007 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC