This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Why aren't tampons free? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why aren't tampons free?
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because they're taking the piss.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<applause>
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mooncups are indeed wonderful. I love mine. You can also get reusable sanitary towels, which sounds odd at first but is no weirder than cloth nappies. And cloth nappies are the best thing ever.

Actually, tax on sanitary products was cut significantly a few years ago. It wasn't made a big deal out of though because whoever was doing the budget at the time was too embarassed to talk about it so left it out of his speech. They are still taxed, but it's far less than VAT.

Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that cut was what I was alluding to upthread but I still thinkit isn't enough. Apparently, in Australia recently, they proposed adding 10% on previously untaxed tampons but it was shouted down

My initial question wasn't as rhetorical as has perhaps been percieved. I genuinely wonder how these decisions are made (the dentistry one included) but I am now more flummoxed by incontinence being taxable

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually given how bad they are for the environment they should be taxed.

During my drainage-related saga last year, when the builders tore the main drains of the complex apart to fix the problem, they found about a hundred used sanitary towels that people had flushed down the toilet recently. A load of them had almost completely blocked one pipe, which wouldn't help the drainage situation much.

[ 13.03.2008, 16:45: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is unfortunate that this thread should be at the top of the page at the same time as, er, 'The chunks of OTF'.

[ 13.03.2008, 16:48: Message edited by: You Are The Ref ]

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to clarify the phrase "drainage-related saga", given the thread topic...
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to gross people out. Or re-live what happened . . .

[ 13.03.2008, 16:49: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should just lock them up in the menstrual hut until it's all over.

Another "Why the fuck is this not taxed harder?" product is shit like Glade Plug-Ins. Waste shedloads of energy to generate chemical smells. Just open the window, for heaven's sake. Or buy a less smelly pet!

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

We aren't saying that tampons should be taxed more, Eggchaser, but top of the list are patio heaters and waterbikes.

Well, aviation fuel as well, obviously

Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The menstrual hut sounds good. Is there a TV?
Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it. It's in Mali, and the particular tribe are also big fans of female genital mutilation as well, so they're not exactly an enlightened bunch in their attitudes to women.

The hut I can live with, though. However, I suspect in my situation the hut is the house whilst I have free run of the garden shed.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of places have menstrual huts don't they? I'm sure there are some with TV these days. Or at least a video player where you can watch Oprah reruns all day.

<grabs coat and ducks to avoid flying remote>

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

Well, that was the one which sprang to my mind from some dim remembered documentary, which when I then checked up on a bit more was rather less of a good-natured josh than first intended...
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound warning.

This is an ad I've seen on TV lately.

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC