This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » limewire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: limewire
pishtico pishtico
Member # 154

- posted      Profile for pishtico pishtico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I have just aquired a sexy brand new PC that virtually walks and talks I'm not going to load Limewire on it as It's part of the reason my last PC picked up Virus's that were impossible to get rid of and slowed the old thing to buggery.
So what other peer to peer site could you recommend that is easy on Virus's and has a good pop/rock/indie/soul base?
I have tried Soulseek and although I did not find it user friendly I would be happy to return if it had a good record of virus free shenanigans.

Posts: 737 | From: birmingham uk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I'm not sure a sharing service is really necessary anymore. With all the "full album" blogs, hypem.com, and totally fuzzy, is there anything one can't get easily now?
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say Soulseek, though unless you donate to them you have to wait in the user's queue to download, which can take a while. But like Matej said, there's so many music blogs now, it's easy to find stuff scattered over the web and not have to use a separate program.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matej: yep, definitely. There's so much on SoulSeek that you'd never find on a blog, plus it's a lot less effort to leave SoulSeek to do its business than to wade through the broken and expired links blog searches routinely turn up.

It's not user friendly to install, but I've found it easy to use, and indispensable. It's the main reason I bought a PC when I already had an old Mac.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes use Solarseek — the Mac version — but find it crashes constantly. I don't know if its because I haven't installed/configured it properly or what, have any other Mac users had experience with it?
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not, but I remember reading that you could install SoulSeek on Macs but that it took two days and a lot of jiggery pokery to do so. N o joke.

I used to use Acquisition on my Mac; it was really good.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.skreemr.com

All you need these days...

[ 13.03.2008, 23:53: Message edited by: Cavalry Trouser Tips ]

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NM: Yes I use Aquisition a lot and it works like dream, but doesn't have anything like the catalog Solarseek does.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, with blogs and the various aggegators it's a breeze not only finding mch of what you want, but a whole lot of stuff you didn't know you wanted.

Ofg the aggegators, I don't like hypem.com much since their self-defeating redesign. www.elbo.ws has come a very long way from being the Hype Machine's poor cousin to a superior blog search engine.

And I cannot overstate how utterly brilliant Totally Fuzzy is; a place where bloggers announce the stuff they've just posted. I cannot begin to count how much stuff I've found there. It also has a decent Google-based search engine.

Skreem is great as well; it's basically a blog aggregator as well though.

Still, the blogosphere doesn't have everything. When I was looking for a couple of John Prine albums, there was absolutely nothing by him avalable, other than a couple of single songs, which I wasn't looking for. Lately I have been looking for something as simple as Cameo's "Single Life", because my copy has those annoying beeps. Nothing to be found.

So a P2P thingy is still necessary as a back-up for times when the blogs can't serve. I use eMule, which is pretty fast and has a decent variety of music (and programmes and movies, for those thus inclined). I managed to find Susan Fassbender's "Twilight Café" there; a vinyl rip, but at least I have it now.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 'Single Life' at home G, if you're still on the lookout for it
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
seeqpod.com is pretty good for the less obscure stuff.
Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be very grateful to receive it, W1F.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a pretty good success rate with Soulseek - maybe 95% of the stuff I look for comes through eventually and that includes a lot of obscure stuff.

Must admit I have never paid attention to the blog stuff much, I bet there has been threads and stuff but if anyone could point me to which are the most obvious must visit ones then I'd be grateful.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

Start with totally fuzzy. Go through the lists and see which blogs offer stuff you are likely to be interested in.

But you definitely will like these two, dalliance:
http://bolachasgratis.blogspot.com/
http://pascalscountrysounds.blogspot.com/

Try also:
http://pascalscountrysounds.blogspot.com/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC