This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Writing in an Irish Accent... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Writing in an Irish Accent...
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd agree with wyatt that myles na gcopaleen does it as well as it's ever been done in his "the brother" episodes. however he's not really writing "in an accent" so much as capturing a way of speaking. there are only occasional phonetic spellings, like "how's thricks?" i daresay the effect would be difficult to recreate.

[ 14.03.2008, 00:46: Message edited by: garcia en dolor ]

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The atlanticisation of language has had an impact in the past few years - even reading Myles now is dated but he made a particularly convuluted use of language.

If you want to go mad with your cliches you can throw in top of de mornin', captin yer honner sorr.

Don't forget to pronounce your haitches, a redundant letter in the UK if ever there was one.

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Also. should you have occasion to mention the toilet, every single mexican I've ever met refers to it as the jacks.Every fucking single one.
In fact, one such mexican asked me where the jacks were just last night.

This irritates me and I have no idea why.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has Battylad got a job writing captions for Punch cartoons in the 19th century?
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Battyladdeen to you sorr
Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Garage last night and came out of it and did that thing where you think for a while in the kind of rhythms and ways the people talked, if you see what I mean, so. So that's what I will recommend.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sergeant Wyatt (to recalcitrant Hibernian detainee): Confess, you Fenian dog!
Toroeen Beg: Faith and begob, sorr, and I never knew you was after taking holy ordorrs.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha ha.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auxiliary Wyatt Faacking graarss ap, innit?
Tóró Sé Do Bheatha Bhaile I will in me hole. Go and shite, yeh tan bastard.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shocking, the language in Punch nowadays.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC