This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » trouble sleeping (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: trouble sleeping
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have insomnia. When i go to bed I'm usually asleeping within minutes.

But usually after about 4 to 5 hours I wake up and can't get back to sleep. It really pisses me off and often means I'm tired in the morning.

I don't want to take sleeping sleeping pills.

This has been going on for years now and its doing me in. Usually I lie awake thinking about all the things that are stressfull in my life and generally feeling tense.

I've now taken to getting up, looking at OTF and trying to work out who Spurs should buy to replace Paul Robinson. I usually manage to get back to sleep around 4.30 am.

Anyone else suffer from sleep problems or got any suggestions.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's been a very annoying problem for me too lately. It's very disruptive, and as you say, it makes me feel very tired when I get up. I've been falling asleep on the bus and it makes me feel very disoriented.

The only advice I have is sleeping pills, but they obviously don't always work for this.

Do you work out at the gym at all?

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FF - I do loads of exercise, I've given up coffee (well virtually)I even go some nights without drinking.

I hate taking pills but may have to give it a go.

What I dislike most is waking up thinking about work related stuff. this is happening quite alot at the moment because there is a large funding gap in my departments budget and I'm having trouble persuading everyone that it'll be Ok and that my 3 year plan for the business is really going to work.

Then usually aroung this sort of time I wake up wondering if the other bastards are right.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've now taken to getting up, looking at OTF and trying to work out who Spurs should buy to replace Paul Robinson. I usually manage to get back to sleep around 4.30 am.

Anyone else suffer from sleep problems or got any suggestions.

What about Stephen Bywater?

[ 14.03.2008, 03:59: Message edited by: Phoebe Disco ]

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously though, it sounds like one or more aspects of your life are stressing you, possibly your job. Is it worth looking for a new job?
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fritz - You have to ask yourself, 'What would David Brent do?'

I don't think you need pills, but you do need to find a way to shut off your brain. Maybe do some relaxation exercises before bed?

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try writing an article on the Federal Reserve's liquidity injections. It's working for me.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Endorphin poisoning. It used to happen to me when I was running my own business. Come the suicide hour the various projects I was working on would riffle through my brain one after another and keep me awake till morning. After a while I found the only solution was to devise a non-project that would employ my mind in the same way. It was counter intuitive but it worked. I used my surplus brain power to design airships, something I knew nothing about but temporarily fooled the left-side of my brain into thinking I did. After it a while it gave up as the problems became ridiculously fantastic and then sleep took over.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a couple of drinks in the evening, fritz? What you describe tends to happen to me when I've had a few glasses.

When I used to play Championship Manager, my trick when trying to fall asleep was to "interview" myself regarding the merits of my squad. I'd start with the goalkeeper, and by the time I was halfway through evaluating my defenders, I would have dropped off. Next night I'd groundhog day the "interview", starting again with the goalkeeper. I don't think I'd ever evaluate my strikers.

That trick is not too dissimilar from AdC's excellent system.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have been having difficulty in getting an uninterrupted night's sleep. This has been going on for the past couple of years. I think of work and grind my teeth. I have just has a crown to replace a tooth that was worn out by my grinding. My dentist reckons I have another 2 or 3 that will need to have the same treatment in the next few months. He recommends a mouth guard similar to that worn by rugby players (but much more expensive of course), but I don't know whether I will be able to sleep with that in my mouth. Phoebe' suggestion deems the way to go, but I'm beginning to realise that I'm 'too old' for this industry and I've never done anything else which just adds to the stress, results in more grinding of the teeth etc.
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't slwpt a full, uninterupted night's sleep in 15 years.
But then, that's sleep apnoea for you.
Fritz, rather than sleeping pills, have you tried stuff like Kalms or Nightol? Suprisingly for herbal crap they do actually work.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used some of the herbal sleeping supplements a while ago and they did the trick.
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had terrible sleeping problems when I was pregnant, but the hypno CD I had to listen to sorted it out in a jiffy. Apparently it has this effect on everyone. UXB has it on his iPod now becuase it's a sure-fire way to beat jetlag or fall asleep on noisy overnight flights.

You can have a copy if you want one. It lasts about 25 minutes but most people are usually asleep within 10 or 15 minutes of switching it on.

Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which one do you have Cali, I got a couple of those hypno cd for the missus, one for stress which she says is rather good and one for sleep which she found annoying. Geezer who talks sounds like a user car salesman...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did have a similar problem some years back, and it was all to do with stress. If possible, try to get some sleep during the day (if work permits). Even 30 minutes of calm, sat in a quiet place somewhere will help.

If you still wake up during the night/morning, it doesnt feel anywhere near as bad.

Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC