This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Mac Attack (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Mac Attack
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've ordered a Macbook as the missus' laptop is getting old and wheezy.

There, I've said it.

[ 25.03.2008, 15:41: Message edited by: JtS ]

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough.

On nearly all objective measures a MacBook is a better computer than a Vista laptop. The only reasonable objections would be if:

1. You play games
2. You think Macs are overpriced
3. You have to use some PC-specific software (though I'm struggling to think of any).

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last 24 hours I ordered a RAID enclosure, two 500gb disks, one network switch, one 19" widescreen monitor/tv. I feel a mix of guilt and excitement at the cost and the impending arrival of gadgets!!

Am now trying hard to find reasons why I can justify purchasing Guitar Hero III and maybe a new PC as well, I want a totally silent one like Tranquil PCs, but they don't do models with monitor output as they're home servers really. Bah.

Ooh and I got a wireless keyboard and mouse for work this morning as well. It's gadgets-a-gogo alright.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I slept in until 2pm, when the missus set my alarm for 9am.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the darkside, JTS.

I'm typing this on a MacBookPro it's without doubt the best computer I've ever owned.

You'll probably have to replace both fans in a year or so though, they get very noisy.

Our IT guy has a new Mac Air - the one without a disc drive or a hard disc, it's deeply cool and breathtakingly quiet.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EIM - I was late for work on Sunday because I updated the software on my phone, which I use as an alarm clock, and didn't realise that it had defaulted to 'Weekdays Only' for the alarm to go off.

Fortunately, or unfortuantely depending on whether you view sleep or getting to work on time as the more important, my daughter woke up at 7.05 and started crying so I was only 10 minutes late for work.

The little star was wonderful today and let us have a lie in until 9am! Wow!

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've ordered a Macbook as the missus' laptop is getting old and wheezy
That's very honourable of you, a lot of blokes would take a mistress instead, etc etc, thank you folks, I'm here all week.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the new larger-screen Eee PCs to come out later in the year. A MacBook Air would be lovely but way out of my price league.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went for the

Specifications

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Superdrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard & Mac OS

And may upgrade the RAM myself (£60 for a pair of 2Gbs)

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

Which came to £835, incl the student discount [Wink]
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty much the MacBook spec I was looking at myself. In a bit of a quandry about this too, still pretty happy with my 2 year old Vaio and not keen on losing the couple of inches screen from 15 inches to the 13 of the MacBook.

Aside from that, it's all the extra cost of the new software for the Mac too when I have most of what I need already for PC.

The Mac Air is more a proof of concept than a viable laptop at the moment. It's hideously underpowered, has awful connectivity and negligible battery life.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to buy a Macbook too.

XP is ageing rapidly, Vista is a heap of shit and Ubuntu is pissing me off too much.

I would never have come to this conclusion a year ago, but Microsoft and the various Linux flavours are dropping the ball IMO...

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My laptop still uses Windows ME. Ok, I can't get any programmes for it, and it's effectively being used to stop a stack of books tumbling over, but it's still good for web browsing and word processing. Except the keyboard is fucked.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must be the last person in the world still using Windows ME, Don.

Is turning it on each day a bit like discovering the obelisk in 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

It loads up quicker than the laptop I use that has XP. Essentially I use it as a portable Champ Man 01/02 device.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC