This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Mac Attack (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Mac Attack
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dalliance, I was wondering about the screen size too, but popped into the apple store on London's Regents Street and had a look/play and found it was ok.

Apparently there is software that allows you to run windows simultaneously

http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/windows.html

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
£800 for a laptop.

I bought a dell Vostro laptop for £485
17 inch screen a built in webcam
core2duo T7250, 3gb of ram, 160gb hard drive (i can install an additional one.
128 nvidia graphics card, bluetooth, with Vista.

more than powerful enough for my needs.
But then i am more interested in a powerful machine than a overpriced pretty piece of plastic.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's on 2.0Ghz
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy Pepys
Member # 511

- posted      Profile for Stumpy Pepys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good spec that MX. Shame it's running Vista.

As I said in my earlier post, price is one of the few reasonable objections to buying a Mac.

I'm a bit tempted by this guy's Hackintosh project.

Posts: 6400 | From: Old München Town | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of a question for anyone who uses database software on their Macs. I use Access a lot and I'm wondering if there is any cross compatability into Filemaker Pro or Bento.

I don't see Access offered as a programme within any of the Mac Office packages.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dalliance, you can import the content but not the structure of your Access files into Filemaker Pro via delineated text file or any Excel file.

the Mac Air is basically a second computer for road warriors, still damn cool though.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I'm probably taking the plunge this evening and ordering one.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CTT, what's pissing you off about Ubuntu?
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well firstly, I installed Xubuntu which, after an X-windows update, kept getting it's calculated dpi setting wrong, so the fonts were ridiculously tiny, and I had to fiddle around with the command line to get it back.

Now I have installed Ubuntu (gone back to Gnome) and an annoying password popup box appears on boot saying NetworkManager wants to access my keychain. It won't save the password so I have to enter it every freaking time.

Also, I have a HP Laserjet 1200 printer - there is no excuse whatsoever for it to get the drivers wrong for that printer - it's as bog-standard a laser as you can get, but it does and CUPS keeps disabling it for no freaking reason - right in the middle of printing stuff out.

In short, I'm getting fed up of spending 2 hours in the command line every time I want to get anything done. It's an operating system for people who like pissing about with operating systems and I found that novel at first, but now I just want to get shit done.

Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying Linux is all bad though - it's by far the best OS to install on a server. I just don't think it's ready as a general use desktop machine.
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just bought a Mac notebook after our Toshiba laptop died one month after the warranty expired.

Airport means we have networked seamlessly with the Mac we already had and UE1 has no trouble logging on to his wireless network.

Using our workplace Microsoft licence agreement means we were able to Office for Mac on for about $40aus.

For movie editing and recording music, which UE2 does frequently, it is far and away the best platform (according to him).

We use I-Chat every day to contact rellies in Melbourne and there are no virus issues. I waqsn't that keen when a Mac was suggested by the boss but I am now glad she insisted.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

I ordered mine the other day, takes two weeks to arrive all the same which is not dazzling, especially when all they have to do is put a bigger hard drive in it. I didn't request it came clad in albino kangaroo skin or anything troublesome.

Another question, are you Mac owners able to run Soulseek or other P2P applications ?

The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soulseek no, but I use Limewire and Google Hacks.
Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The impressive spec / price combination of MX's laptop is completely offset by:

quote:
...with Vista.
My 4 month old Vista based PC is currently in an unusable state, it won't go more than 15 minutes without a blue screen of death. My 2.5 year old Mac iBook, however, has crashed once (which was my own fault) and still runs faster than the PC, even before the BSOD episodes started a couple of weeks ago.

However, echoing Dalliance's concerns, there are some compatibility issues with Macs, all of the standard Office software isn't as powerful on a mac is it is on windows based machines. Does anyone know if its possible, via a dual boot, to run windows on a mac with the standard office features, including Access?

Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Mac has an intel processor you can install XP on it.
ANd thank fuck too. The machines may be nice, but the Mac OS is horrible.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC