This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Mac Attack (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Mac Attack
nefertiti
Member # 958

- posted      Profile for nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. You can install parallels which means you can run both. details here

Or apparently even better, but I've not used it, is VM Fusion

[ 21.03.2008, 12:07: Message edited by: nefertiti ]

Posts: 627 | From: time to time | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The machines may be nice, but the Mac OS is horrible."

You're a sick man Hobbes, seek help.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you booted XP in parallel mode would you then be able to use Soulseek ?

Also, I take it that I can't just plug in my PC originated USB / Firewire back up drives to access my stored data via the Mac ?

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are you Mac owners able to run Soulseek or other P2P applications ?

Acquistion is the smoothest Mac P2P application. It runs Gnuttella I think. There's a Mac version of Soulseek called Solar Seek, it's a bastard to configure, then I'm a techno-nerd so you might be more successful.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're a sick man Hobbes, seek help.
Dude, I look after these things for a living. Macs go down just as often as PCs and they're 100 harder to support when they do.
They're the worst possible example of style over function. As are pretty much all Apple products.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Macs go down just as often as PCs and they're 100 harder to support when they do."

Total bollocks.

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I toyed with the idea of buying a Mac at one time, but found its word processor (which I would have been using a lot if I'd bought it) to be piss-poor and horrible to look at.

I very occasionally have to use one in work, for pictures-related stuff, and find them a little unwieldy.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, I use both windows ME and some PC specific software. I feel out of date.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its word processor (which I would have been using a lot if I'd bought it) to be piss-poor and horrible to look at.

If you want to you can use MS Word on a Mac you know.

I very occasionally have to use one in work, for pictures-related stuff, and find them a little unwieldy.

What kind of picture related stuff?

I find criticisms of Mac OS or Windows coming from users cheering for the other side are based mostly on their own inexperience. Both work well enough most of the time. I favour Macs because I've been user since the mid-80s. Windows I've only used for twelve years in a work/teaching lab environment. I accept I've a bias because of that. If you try to do certain things on a Mac the same way as on a PC, they won't work and vice versa that's all.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Total bollocks.
Offfs. It's not at all. I've been supporting both PCs and Macs for 12 years. My experience and those of people I've worked with is exactly as I've said.
Of course, with your extensive experience and knowledge of working advertising will probably make you far more qualified than me to comment.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of picture related stuff?

Doing EPSs (i.e. cropping silhouette-type pictures around which the text will flow). It's very time-consuming. I accept that a lot of this is due to me having more experience on a PC than a Mac but there are things about the Mac's layout and user interface which are annoying.

[ 22.03.2008, 18:21: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

That sounds more like a software issue than anything else.
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

I've done this stuff on a PC in the past (in a different job) without any problems.
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Macs go down just as often as PCs and they're 100 harder to support when they do.
I've been using Macs for 18 years, and Windows since 1997. My considered opinion is that, in my experience, Macs do not go down nearly as often as Windows.

When Macs have crashed with me, the problem has been a faulty programme (hello Quark XfuckingPress). With Windows, it often is the operating system. So, I'd go with TPC here, Macs are massively superior in the stability department.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised to hear that photo manipulation on the Mac proved hard, I thought that sort of thing was Mac's traditional forte.

I'm a little apprehensive about my switch after being an avowed PC person all my life and being pretty happy with XP and a succession of Vaio laptops. I'm probably one of the gently growing band of people whose appreciation of Apple has come via good experiences with the iPod and iTunes, thus seeking to see if that experience can be expanded into the computing arena.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC