This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Mac Attack (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Mac Attack
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now have an Eee PC. It's fairly cool. The keys are tiny and learning Linux is a pain, but it's pre-configured with most things I'd reasonably expect to use (Firefox, Skype, OpenOffice, etc).
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a stability problem with Windows XP, once I get the fucker installed, that is. Windows 98, that was another story altogether. That was complete shite.

I last used Macs in the 1990s, under Systems 7 & 8, and they would crash as often as Windows 98.

The problem I have with Macs is the high price and lack of flexibility when it comes to the hardware. You only have one option: Apple. If they released MacOS for the PC (and there's nothing stopping them any more since they switched over to Intel hardware) then I'd buy it and give it a spin. It's a good OS, I'd like to be able to use it.

The reason that Apple never became as big as Microsoft was because Apple pursued a strategy of trying to gain a total monopoly on both the OS and hardware markets, which would have been even more evil than Microsoft. Imagine Microsoft and Dell combined into one megacompany, with nobody else allowed to make Windows compatible computers. That's what would have happened if Apple had beaten Microsoft.

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point. All those Mac-anistas who think Apple are cute and cuddly should remember they might not be microsoft, but it wasn't for lack of trying.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was the genius of Bill Gates. He realised early on that the future was in software and let the computer hardware companies battle it out to build computers.

Apple wanted to control everything: hardware and software. If Microsoft had never existed we'd all own Apple hardware, running Apple software on the Applenet internet. For years Apple had a far superior operating system and they could have pulverised Microsoft, but they were to greedy. They didn't want to allow other people to make MacOS hardware.

I'm no fan of Microsoft but Apple are no better, if not worse.

[ 25.03.2008, 14:19: Message edited by: bryanattoni ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean this was them being ironic?
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fine point about Apple. They're still bastards, just bastards who are a.) a little more stylish than Microsoft, and b.) a little less canny.

I can't imagine running anything other than Linux now. I don't piss about as much as many people, but the ability to do pretty much anything I want is a luxury I'd find very hard to give up, I've got very used to a GUI without irritating, RAM-hogging frills for grannies and children, and virus/spyware protection is a pain I don't miss. Every time I use Windows now, within five minutes I'm frustrated with something, and the same goes for the Mac.

CTT's issues are the one real sticking point with Ubuntu - for some people it all works beautifully out of the box, but it's kind of pot luck - but now that people like Dell are selling PCs with Ubuntu pre-installed, things will start to get easier.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a little more stylish than Microsoft,

Indeed -- a massive amount of the good feeling towards Apple comes from all those elegant Jonathan Ive designs and understatedly sexy white curves and angles. Though being more stylish than Microsoft is a bit like being better dressed than Adam Clayton.

[ 25.03.2008, 20:10: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You mean this was them being ironic?
It's really quite brilliant that ad. If you couldn't get it to work, like me, here it is on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Absolutely nails down the Apple myth that they've gone with ever since; agility and elegance over brute force, individualism over conformity, utopian rather than dystopian futurism... it's all bullshit, of course, but it's incredibly well-conceived bullshit, and they've stayed relentlessly on message to a degree that makes Jack Straw look like a man who's open to a range of differing views.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's rather fun, of course, is to reflect on what the Mac of 1984 was actually like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M_wyaqRl0KE&feature=related

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

Ha, the audience reaction on this is fucking brilliant. It's like going back in time and showing a caveman a pocket calculator.
bryanattoni
Member # 60

Scrolling text!
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all that it's still remarkable how badly designed non- apple computers are. How little do they pay their designers (dell et al)?

And wtf is the eject button always underneath the CD/DVD tray? The average office pc is on the floor so you end up having to crawl to get at it (ffs and other abrreviated swear words)

Meanwhile my imac looks great but since I mostly use word/excel I am wholly unimpressed by office manager on it. Gah.

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My G5 tower is a fucking brutal killing machine.

It churns through 100mb Photoshop files while a 76 pg inDesign file is printing a press-quality pdf, while I'm listening to music and browsing the web. There is nothing my Mac can't handle.

Other than it's awesome power, the Mac's greatest feature is it's brilliantly designed OS. Pure function mixed with aesthetic style. Vista is a step in the right direction regarding this, but really is in it's infancy, and should improve.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pure function mixed with aesthetic style
See, I'd disagree with this. Mac os is utterly hamstrung by having a 1 button mouse.
Right-click on PC's is totally brilliant.

quote:
The average office pc is on the floor so you end up having to crawl to get at it
The floor argument is equally valid for Macs too.
I agree about the eject button on CD roms though and 10 years of manufacturing pcs that looked like hospital equipment has indeed left them a bit behing in the style stakes.
Having said that, the latest MACs we had at my last place were the size of small European Principalities and utterly unweildy. When compared to things like the new ultra slim HP's or your pc shuttles they still have a bit to learn.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're on crack I've been right-clicking for years.

The new Mac mouse has a right click. In terms of the old single-button mouse, simply execute a control click your left hand should be hovering in that location anyway. Or, and I know this is a brain-buster, purchase a 2-buttoned mouse.

Problem solved, solved and solved.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC