This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Mac Attack (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Mac Attack
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
your left hand should be hovering in that location
For a lot of things you shouldn't have to go near the keyboard.
And it's the functionality on Windows right-click rather than just having an extra button that matters. I mean, I could buy a 50 button mouse, but it wouldn't do any good if the buttons didn't do anything useful.

[ 26.03.2008, 09:33: Message edited by: hobbes ]

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of the funny things about Apple. They'll build in the functionality, sure, but they couldn't possibly do anything as vulgar as give you a two button mouse as standard. It's just weird, that, I think.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a lot of things you shouldn't have to go near the keyboard.
Speak for yourself.

As a designer, I naturally get my hover-on regularly, but 99% of other users should too.

For instance, if your sitch is to be nav-ing the OS (command tab and F9,10 and 11 will be used all the time), word-processing (command C, X and V, plus command s), or browsing the web (command tab), then you'll be hovering to the max.

I design gui's professionally and as such pay a lot of attention to interfaces and the systems supporting them, and even though I have had limited exposure to PC's, I find it difficult to perceive that anyone could design an industrial piece of magic like a personal/business computer better than Apple.

That said, I echo other peoples' sentiments in terms of respect going to Bill Gates' recognition of software's powerful business potential.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be doing with not having a delete and a backspace button. I could never use a Mac.

Mind you, I would switch to ANYTHING that allowed me to disable the cunting caps lock key and the bastard insert toggle, when I wanted to.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They'll build in the functionality, sure, but they couldn't possibly do anything as vulgar as give you a two button mouse as standard. It's just weird, that, I think.
That's a good point. But it's more than weird, it's perverse and the creator of such prickishness deserves some kind of retribution.

Perhaps he'll be reborn as a haddock.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

Lyra, Macs have both delete and backspace.
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lyra:

Insert toggle alarm

Disable caps lock

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

quote:
I could buy a 50 button mouse, but it wouldn't do any good if the buttons didn't do anything useful.
I missed that.

Again, for everyone (bar your profession), this doesn't stand.

hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. The keyboard should only be there for entering data.
You should be able to pretty much navigate the OS and do whatever you need that doesn't require data entry on two buttons and a scroll wheel alone.

[ 26.03.2008, 10:45: Message edited by: hobbes ]

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

Well the Mac OS doesn't require it. But if you learn to operate a computer like that, and it becomes natural, then it's the fastest, and therefore most efficient way to rock the mike, computer-stylee.
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, the insert key. What is the point? I've decided to permanently solve that problem just now. I've gotten a knife and removed the fucker from the keyboard.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC