This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Never So Good (OneTouchTheatre)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Never So Good (OneTouchTheatre)
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to see a preview production of this new play about Harold MacMillan last night at the National Theatre.

It's, um, not very good.

Firstly, I was astonished at how poor the acoustics are at the National. Nearly all of the first fifteen minutes are inaudible, especially whenever there were any noises off. They're going to have to turn down the volume before the first night.

Secondly, it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It sets out to be a psychological study of Supermac and how his experiences in childhood and the first world war shaped him and his relationships. Then about half way through it just turns into a love letter to Macmillan and the Edwardian generation of politicians.

It takes the form of a series of historical snapshots - WW1; Munich; Casablanca; Suez and Profumo, but to anyone at all familiar with history there's nothing new or surprising or informative there. And the script was very leaden, not that seemed to stop half the audience laughing away throughout. I guess aged tories must be starved of laughter day-to-day.

And the other huge problem was in the casting. Robert Glenister was very good as the irrepressibly sleazy and venal Bob Boothby, but the huge trouble was casting Jeremy Irons as Macmillian: he looks and sounds so much like Anthony Eden, with whom he has to share a stage much of the time, that it's impossible not to be distracted by such miscasting.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if it runs for long, so Tubby Isaacs, who'd appreciate its nostalgia for patrician toryism, had better get cracking if he wants to see it.

Nil thread.

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plays about politicians at the National, is it? A few years ago, I saw the one about a thinly disguised Charles Haughey, with the copper out of Minder. That was good.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sebastian Barry had his reputation trashed in the Irish right-wing press for penning that play, even though it was excessively kind to Haughey, if anything. The old thieving scumbag still casts a long shadow.

I watched my younger brother acting in a play at the Project Theatre at the weekend. He was quite good.

[ 18.03.2008, 10:29: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last thing I went to see was Avenue Q. I thought it was great.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mate of mine was at the National last year, acting opposite ZoŽ Wanamaker in a Tennessee Williams play. Which wasn't too depressing...
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Stoppard's Russian trilogy at the National. That's about political theorists, anyway, and it's very good.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing we saw lately was the old warhorse "The Woman in Black". That was great fun in a kind of over-the-top M R James "It was a dark and stormy night" way. Definitely recommended.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some good stuff at the Naional over the past couple of years. The £10 deal that comes from the Travelex sponsorship is can be one of the most fantastic bargains you can get anywhere.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

Oh, I forgot to mention: Stephen Poliakoff was there. Very bent ears he has.
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last bit of theatre about politics I saw at the National was the very brilliant (but perhaps not quite as brilliant as Copenhagen) Democracy by Michael Frayn.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC