This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » "Can you call me a cab?", "You're a cab"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Can you call me a cab?", "You're a cab"
tratorello
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for tratorello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone living in London explain something that has been perplexing me for a while now?

There appear to be an ever increasing number of cars and MPVs with a little sticker in the back window that is the London Transport symbol with the words "PRE-BOOKED ONLY" written on it.

Can anyone tell me what this means? Are they private cabs? If so there seem to be an awful lot of them, I've got a feeling that it's some sort of scam to get around the congestion charge.

Anyone know what it's all about?

Posts: 1718 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have something similar in Dundee where they're known as 'Private Hires'. They can't pick up from the street or ranks, you have to phone their depots and order instead.
Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're just mini-cabs... they often have a light blue/green circle in the back window.
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tratorello
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for tratorello     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that is confusing me is that to all intents and purposes these vehicles look like ordinary cars, they don't seem to have the other paraphernalia of a normal minicab (e.g. radio, visible stickers with phone numbers on, registered licence plates etc).
Posts: 1718 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/taxisandprivatehire/1344.aspx
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tratorello
Member # 604

Thanks JtS, I never knew that London had so many licenced minicabs.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC