This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Eliot Spitzer and changing my mind. aka Why is sex special? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Eliot Spitzer and changing my mind. aka Why is sex special?
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not sure sex with a seventeen year-old is paedophilia, whatever else it is.

A kid could also help themselves to one of their Mum's painkillers, or whatever. If it's a serious danger and can't be guarded against, then that's another reason not to grant "pick up mum's crack from the chemist/offie" as falling under premise A.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sure, but most children are under the age of consent.
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think incest is a moral surd, I think the proscription can be based on mutually supporting Kantian and consequentialist reasoning. Such reasoning can have to do with the likelihood, and the likely consequences, of coerced, or quasi-coerced ("browbeaten", you might say), sex based on the abuse of influence. Kantian principles of personal autonomy, and arguments deriving from the known evil consequences of sexual coercion in particular, are here in agreement.

Similar arguments may well apply in the case of prostitution, but the case must be argued on its merits, and we need a counter to the argument that legalisation will help maximise the autonomy of the worker, which is (so this argument runs) most severely compromised when the industry operates underground.

Prostitution is legal in the UK, incidentally, though so many of its ancillary activities are illegal that it is effectively an underground activity.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But so is prostitution.
Oops. No it isn't.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, beaten to the punch.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wyatt - don't similar Kantian arguments apply to "forcing" a kid to eat their greens? Kant presumes the rationality of the agent as a necessary condition of treating the agent thus. Usually, where we don't consider minors sufficiently rational, we expect the parent to determine their interests. I can't see any non-question-begging reason to do otherwise here.

ooh aah - well, a fifteen year-old is still a greey area in terms of "paedophilia". In any case, the contention here is that there are uncontroversial cases in which parental will trumps considerations of age, and the issue is why we should think that sex isn't one of them.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

quote:
Prostitution is legal in the UK, incidentally
Yep, sorry. The debate arises from a US context, though we can equally make it about whether or not prostitutions should be illegal in the UK. In any case, just what we are concerned with is the justification of its legal status, so appeals to its legal status for disanalogies are question-begging.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wyatt - don't similar Kantian arguments apply to "forcing" a kid to eat their greens? Kant presumes the rationality of the agent as a necessary condition of treating the agent thus. Usually, where we don't consider minors sufficiently rational, we expect the parent to determine their interests. I can't see any non-question-begging reason to do otherwise here.
Yeah, sorry, I was still on the 17-year-old. As it were. Where the child is debarred from consenting anyway, those arguments don't come into play in the same way.

Although of course the law does recognise children's interests as autonomous from, and indeed precedent over, those of their parents, and is actually fairly frequently prepared to overrule parental decisions.

I wasn't arguing a case for prostitution's legality from prostitution's legality, by the way, I was just making one of them parenthetical interjection things. My point was that it wouldn't be possible, in reply to our hypothetical legaliser, to point to the fact that prostitution's legal and yet underground in the UK as evidence that it's inevitably underground, because of the other legal restrictions that surround it here.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think sex is different so much as *incest* in particular. I can see that an argument along the lines of 'it will damage the child's mental health' won't wash, after all, having to mow the lawn might, too. but the incest taboo is common to (arguably) every society, isn't it? However the anthropological reasons may be related to the biological reasons.

Apologies by the way as I know fuck all about Kant. We classicists are still stuck back with Vernant and Vidal-Naquet

[ 18.03.2008, 16:35: Message edited by: lyra ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

Parent-child incest is ethically very different from sibling-sibling incest, I think, to the extent that it's unfortunate that we use the same term.
Member # 465

quote:
I wasn't arguing a case for prostitution's legality from prostitution's legality, by the way, I was just making one of them parenthetical interjection things.
Yeah, I know. I was just explaining the context of the original comment I made, which you were the first to pick up on.
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Wyatt and I'd have to do some research on which is most commonly proscriebd in which societies etc. I belive father/daughter and mother/son incest are often differentiated, too
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just interrupt this slightly loopy thread to point out that
quote:
You also can't ask your kids to:

- Drive you to the airport

is apparently untrue and, not only that, you can ask them to do it at 4 in the morning as well
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I thought of last night as I was pondering this is this:

The whole argument in the opening post seems to rest upon the assumption that when a child is given chores around the house to do, it is directly comparable to an economic transaction like hiring a plumber, because there is some sort of quid pro quo agreement in place (you do the chores, we'll give you food, shelter, pocket money etc.).

However, I don't think this is how things work at all in normal family households. It works much more, I'd say, like a commune than a market economy, with a pooling of resources among all members of the household, and a division of labour according to whichever house rules exist. Moreover, parents don't give their children food and shelter because their children do the washing up every night but because it is their duty to do so. It's not a quid pro quo at all but simply an exercising of duties on each side - the parents carry out their duties relating to providing for their children, and the children carry out any duties ascribed to them as members of the household. But it's not an economic transaction at all. Even if the child refused to do the dishes, the parents would have no right to deny them food indefinitely. However recalcitrant your child is, you still have a duty of care with regards to them.

It may well be reasonable to ask your child to do some jobs around the house but only because as members of the "commune" they have a responsibility to do their bit towards its smooth-running - not as part of some sort of economic transaction.

And if there is an explicit economic transaction involved - eg wash the car and I'll give you 1 - then the child may accept or reject this offer - there are no parental rights involved at all.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

I think that's all correct.

But I don't think it changes the problem any; it's precisely because the communal nature of family life is recognsied as different that usual legal standards don't apply...

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC