This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Sir Paul's divorce settlement (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Sir Paul's divorce settlement
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vegetarians who use fly spray surely understand why humans place themselves above animals.
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all animals. Endangered species are considered worth preserving when the money could save human lives instead.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's wise to find the actions of a huge number of people repulsive, given their tacit support for the Iraq war. Girls Aloud's release of the single "I Think We're Alone Now" is just one egregious example.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
McCartney essentially said that the invasion of Iraq was a proper response to 9/11, saying "I'd be angry like I think anyone would be, so I could see America and Britain being angry" on the subject of the Iraq war, basically adopting the Friedman line of "someone has to pay for it".

That is repulsive (at least to those of us who are and were opposed to the war, Lucy.)

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SR, I think it's totally retarded for McCartney to go on a crusade against Canada because of the seal hunt when his own country, Britain, has had a big role in the death of about one million Iraqis and the ongoing destruction of their country in a colonial enterprise. Yet people like McCartney advocate economic sanctions against Canada because of the seal hunt.
Ooh, now, if we were looking for things to describe as "retarded", this paragraph would easily make my all time top ten.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Horse, Linus initially referred to the McCartneys' "retarded millionaire causes". He's free to believe that the McCartneys are "retarded millionaires" if he wishes, but but that's not what he said. He referred to the causes themselves in that way. I'm sure I'm not the only OTFer who finds that extremely insulting, and Linus' subsequent elaboration (the old one about animal rights supporters not caring about humans) only made matters worse.
I am all like yo for this post.

Some very muddy confusing of what we think about Macca and his positions and what we think about the ideas under discussion on this thread. Do Better, as the saying goes.

[ 19.03.2008, 01:53: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Macca because he's a boring, bollock faced old bastard. My Dad fucking loves him though. These bass players tend to stick together. As for the former Mrs Macca, she's a fruit loop. But then you would be, wouldn't you?

I hope this has helped put this thread to bed.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

quote:
that former Baywatch skank whose name escapes me.
Ugh. "Skank"? Why is anyone giving an arsehole like linus house room here? I mean really. The man's a prick. He thinks like a moron and talks like scum. Women who are skanks, animal rights advocates who are retarded... come on. Is this kind of shit really okay on here these days? And people think I'm abrasive. Jesus.

[ 19.03.2008, 02:03: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you're abrasive SSS, but you're definitely quite rude on the basis of the post above.

And also a bit slow, on the basis of the 01:47 post above, because while you can fault me for "thinking like a moron", there is no thinking whatsoever that went in your posts above, only a weak attempt at distorting what I wrote (either that or your cognitive skills are suspect.)

For the record:

-I didn't say "women are skank", I said Pamela Anderson and Brigitte Bardot were. I don't use that term lightly, but in my book, they do qualify.

-I didn't say animal rights advocates are retarded, I said those particular advocates, along with McCartney, were. I think it's also unfortunate that those three personalities above are the flag bearers of animal rights in North America, France and perhaps the UK.

-I don't think that caring for animal rights in general is mutually exclusive with caring for human rights, even though Anderson, Bardot clearly don't give a crap about human rights. Anderson's equating the seal hunt with the Iraq war (along with her tacit support of it as a Fox network tool) proves that she doesn't give a crap about human rights. And the least that can be said about McCartney's stance is that it's on very shaky grounds and indeed outright hypocritical. Personally, I think it's despicable.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Horse, Linus initially referred to the McCartneys' "retarded millionaire causes". He's free to believe that the McCartneys are "retarded millionaires" if he wishes, but but that's not what he said. He referred to the causes themselves in that way. I'm sure I'm not the only OTFer who finds that extremely insulting, and Linus' subsequent elaboration (the old one about animal rights supporters not caring about humans) only made matters worse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am all like yo for this post.

Well, maybe you can explain how linus's second post was "the old one about animal rights supporters not caring about humans". Because it flat-out wasn't.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is anyone giving an arsehole like linus house room here? I mean really. The man's a prick. He thinks like a moron and talks like scum.
I for one give an arsehole like linus room here because he debates his points politely and coherently (even if 98% of the time I very strongly disagree with him). And he does so without falling back on the old ad hominem strategy when he decides he doesn't like someone.

I don't regard linus as abrasive at all. But I don't think "abrasive" is quite the right word to characterise my old friend SSS either.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wouldn't consume human flesh if that were (somehow) an option. This behavior is one manifestation inherently embodying the notion that humans are superior to lobsters or others animals most human beings consume.
Is this saying what I think it's saying? That we are superior because we say we are? We choose to eat lobsters, but don't choose to eat humans, ergo we are superior to lobsters.

To paraphrase Milan Kundera, if a bunch of aliens showed up and started barbecuing people, and we protested, but they said "well, we're superior to you and the fact that we eat you proves it" would that argument work for you?

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, maybe you can explain how linus's second post was "the old one about animal rights supporters not caring about humans". Because it flat-out wasn't.
It flat-out was. It was trite, bar-room bigmouth bollocks. Here are three extracts:

quote:
SR, I think it's totally retarded for McCartney to go on a crusade against Canada because of the seal hunt when his own country, Britain, has had a big role in the death of about one million Iraqis and the ongoing destruction of their country in a colonial enterprise.
As if caring about both issues is somehow mutually exclusive. I'll say it again: if you poll the opinions of animal rights supporters and the opinions of non-animal rights supporters, I'll bet everything I own that there is a higher incidence of anti-war sentiment and anti-war activism among the former than among the latter.

quote:
Animal rights... (is) ...also partially rooted in a misanthropic vision of the world, in which animals are more important than human beings (or as important.)
Again, this is classic 'either/or' bollocks. There can only be a statistically negligible handful of fruitloops for whom animals are more important than humans. A view that they are equal is a more common position, and a defensible one. But - please take note of this, everybody - it isn't even necessary to believe that they are equally important in order to be a supporter of animal rights. A massive number of animal rights supporters are motivated by a feeling that, even if the welfare of animals is not as important as that of humans, there's still no justification for treating them the way we do.

quote:
I don't think it's as important today as some of the issues that affect the life (and deaths) of millions of people around the world.
As if only the top three most important issues in the world are worth dealing with, and to draw attention to anything else is somehow evil and anti-human.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Vegetarians who use fly spray surely understand why humans place themselves above animals.
Taylor, that's reductio ad absurdum stuff, and I suspect you know it. Why don't you go all the way and say that vegetarians who wash their bedsheets are hypocrites because they're killing thousands of microscopic mites?

There are numerous ways in which a vegetarian might justify exterminating houseflies. For example: 1) a sentience threshold, i.e. drawing a line below which the rights of creatures which are essentially a simple, 'robotic' central nervous system with no 'brain' in any meaningful sense do not share the same rights as those above it. 2) the home invasion principle: all creatures are equal until they invade my domain, at which point they become fair game. 3) the self-protection principle: they bring disease into my home and threaten the health of me and my family, therefore it is fair to exterminate them. And so on.

Plus, as I pointed out in my previous post, you don't need to believe in absolute equality in order to care about animal welfare.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As if caring about both issues is somehow mutually exclusive. I'll say it again: if you poll the opinions of animal rights supporters and the opinions of non-animal rights supporters, I'll bet everything I own that there is a higher incidence of anti-war sentiment and anti-war activism among the former than among the latter.
. . . but not among Paul McCartney.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC