This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Anyone else getting a bad feeling about the East London Line? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Anyone else getting a bad feeling about the East London Line?
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live about a 12 minute walk from the new Shoreditch High Street station so I should be getting really excited about this. But I looked at it today and realised there is absolutely nowhere on that line I am interested in going to. It seems to connect a lot of dull residential places together, places whose inhabitants are likely to be more interested in going into the centre than heading around to the other (similar) places on the line. I mean, is there anyone in New Cross really excited about their high speed link to Haggerston or Hoxton or Dalston? How many people from Croydon (apart from YATR) are planning to visit this part of East London? Even if they are. they can jump off at London Bridge and get a bus, which will add about 10 minutes to the journey.

The link to Clapham Junction would be useful because that would avoid long, overcrowded journeys to Waterloo and Victoria and open up huge chunks of the southern rail network. But I see that part of the project hasn't even got the go ahead.

Is it me or is this whole thing only happening because it runs on existing routes for much of the way?

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, is there anyone in New Cross really excited about their high speed link to Haggerston or Hoxton or Dalston
Yep: the entire south London music scene, I'd imagine.

What's the plan for the route south of New Cross? If they bought the line down to Streatham and Brixton it would join most of the dots I'd want it to.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the fact that it links up ostensibly unremarkable places is precisely what's good about it. Central London is catered for. And it brings a first ever Tube station to Hackney (unless you count Manor House, which is on the border of three boroughs, fact fans)
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that a tube line should only connect 'interesting' places is fucking daft Tubby. To plan your infrastructure like that would only cement the disconnected feel you can get in areas of London that are badly in need of better transport links.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Public transport's function is to, like, transport the public.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And it brings a first ever Tube station to Hackney
Is it staying part of the Tube network then? I thought it was going to be part of Network Rail (i.e. part of London's overground network). I may well be wrong though.

[ 19.03.2008, 07:51: Message edited by: Jimski ]

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I still lived in London I'd be really chuffed that there was finally a tube station in Dalston, there's a great cinema there but I can't remember the name of it.
Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the ethnic makeup of these places? Given that Croydon's the place where every immigrant in the country ends up at some point to be "processed" in the big Home Office buildings there, it's likely that they may be living in or have family in the East End, a traditional settling place for immigrants for centuries.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The_Liquidator
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for The_Liquidator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's south-east and east London, so ethnically very mixed. Croydon itself is very far from being a vanilla suburb.
Posts: 6801 | From: The city to the sticks | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy abuot it because I live in one of the terminally dull places it will be going to, and I hope it will take some of the pressure off the line to London Bridge, especially as half the people using it want to go to Canary Wharf anyway.

And it will also mean that I will be able to explain where I live in terms of its nearest tube station. That is, if I can mention it before the person I'm talking to dies of boredom

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steveeeeee - the Rio. It is in fact great. I've met the guy that runs it - interesting bloke.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Central London is not catered for. It's horrendously overcrowded and takes forever to get across. A fast route across it (north to south) is what's needed. Something that goes via Whitechapel and Wapping because there happens to be some track and tunnelling there already isn't that.

Obviously, I'm all for building transport links in places that don't have them. But Hackney needs the Hackney to Chelsea tube line more than this. The amount of buses coming into City and West End from Hackney is ridiculous. Those people should be on tubes. You think they'll take a "tube" to Surrey Quays instead because it happens to be there?

That Shoreditch High Street Station worries me. I think that it presages massive development of that area. Already a rather nice old railway building (housing the mediocre Light Bar) is earmarked for a new skyscraper.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

Surrey Quays! Now there's a place that's in a timewarp. They ought to just label it a Museum of the 80s.
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

I'm not a rush hour traveller but I'm told the East London Line will not be that good for getting to Canary Wharf. It's virtually impossible to get on the Jubilee Line at Canada Water as it is. Another direct line to Canary Wharf would have been useful, but this isn't it.
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine at the GLA once told me that the East London Line was absolutely crucial for London, as it was the only tube line that linked all the relatively affordable housing in South-East London into the network; thus allowing key, but low-paid, workers to commute.

She was actually worried that if it went straight into the city as a single route, like the Jubilee or Northern lines do, then all the housing in those areas would just be bought up by the same high-salaried workers, and it would increase the disconnection between key workers and the city, and make it harder and harder for these people to get access. Extending and improving the east London line without bringing it into any of the central parts of the city might be the best compromise that could be made.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC