This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Anyone else getting a bad feeling about the East London Line? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Anyone else getting a bad feeling about the East London Line?
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we can't build lines that might serve places that lots of people might travel to because the property prices might go up?

I can see what you mean but that's a pretty bad state of affairs. People come from those areas to work in the City and West End as it is. They just take overcrowded trains and buses. They will continue to do so after this is built.

We have key worker schemes anyway. It would be better to expand those.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be pretty useful for me if it were built now, but I don't plan to be living here in 2012.

"The amount of buses coming into City and West End from Hackney is ridiculous. "

Indeed. It takes an hour to get from Hackney Road to Fleet Street by bus in the morning, and only 20 minutes off peak.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's a bad state of affairs undoubtedly, Tubby. But if you accept that the state isn't going to properly interfere in the housing market, and you know that key worker schemes are desperately insufficient (and key worker is a very limited definition in those schemes and doesn't include most of the lowish-paid people in the city), then you need to find compromise.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Jubilee Line - aren't they going to improve the signalling? The difficulty of changing at Canada Water ought to be something they can sort out with more trains.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The signalling is out of date after 9 years?

Lardinho, will key workers be connected to anywhere they need to go by this line? As you say, they're a bit different to other workers because they work in places that aren't the usual office/shop areas, so that might be true, I guess.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't know, Tubby. It was just something my friend said to me which came as a bit of a surprise but made some sense: poor people need to get into the city and have somewhere affordable to live and the East London Line was a crucial part of that. That's about as deep as my knowledge goes.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

and this

and this describes how bobbins it was at the start.

[ 19.03.2008, 11:09: Message edited by: lyra ]

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

It does make some sense, Lardinho. I wonder though whether London's local government is keen because it's something they can fund and do themselves. Something like Hackney-Chelsea I imagine is all dependent on the Treasury. As is Crossrail. The bad economic climate predicted makes me worry that this will get shelved, as in the mid-nineties. Perhaps then we might be wishing that the East London Line money hadn't been spent.

Cheers, Lyra. Well, that should indeed help.

E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubbs, I agree with the point about a Hackney-Chelsea link (though Crossrail should be a help in this regard), but it doesn't negate the usefulness of the East London Line, which as others have hinted might actually help link up bits of London that have long been marginalised (lots of SE London is ghettoised in all sorts of ways).

Docklands is another place that remains bedevilled by appalling transport links (and appalling everything really - it's a horrible place). As the crow flies, I live reasonably close to it yet a journey there from Walthamstow never takes less than an hour.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm in disagreement with you, Tubbs. As you know, I live in Dalston. Currently, people round my manor are squashed like sardines onto the overland from Dalston Kingsland to Highbury every morning and evening. This'll really ease a horrible situation. In terms of Haggerston/Dalston being a nothing area, shit man, there's so much going on. Aside from the ever-brilliant Rio Cinema there are shit loads of great club nights popping up round here, many of them at Barden's Boudoir on Kingsland Road.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely heading into a recession is exactly when you should be spending money on public infrastructure, for Keynesian reasons.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wise words GY. And Pants also. I've got quite fond of Dalston lately - the Rio's a great cinema, and even the scruffy pubs round there, like the Kingsland, have their charms.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

I think my knowledge of the area is about 10 years out of date. I should come and see you.

The Dalston-Highbury link could get upgraded without the rest of the work happening. In fact, the fact that this is overcrowded is a bit of a giveaway, that people want/need to get on the tube and head into the centre. The extension doesn't meet any tubes that do that except for Whitechapel, which is on a very slow line in. And a lot of people can already do that.

Of course, people can't take routes that aren't yet there, so I'm speculating wildly.

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

GY, indeed. Do you think that'll happen though, given the existing debt?
E10Rifle
Member # 34

The existing pig-headed, dogmatically stubborn economic orthodoxy in government is more of a problem.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC