This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » My car has got Seasonally Affected Disorder syndrome (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My car has got Seasonally Affected Disorder syndrome
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In about October last year, the dashboard display of my car radio just went blank. You know, the bit that tells you what station you're listening to, what frequency FM you're on. The radio still worked, and I really thought nothing of it, other than a mild annoyance (I already had all the stations I listen to programmed in to buttons 1 to 6, and hitting any of them still made them work, so it was no skin off my nose).

It's rained every day in Lancashire since, and the display bit never came back on.

Until Monday. It was sunny all day on Monday, and when I came out of work, I turned the ignition, and the LCD display burst back into life with a glowing intensity that actually distracted me from driving, so delighted was I to see it again. It's been sunny the last couple of days, too, and it's still there.

The only rational explanation is that my car has been suffering from SAD. Roll on the summer!

[ 19.03.2008, 20:50: Message edited by: Rogin the Armchair fan ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last two months, my car has

1). Been crashed (by me) and repaired
2). Had some cunt of a fucking white van cuntbag fling his cunting door open on it and dent the door and put a cunting white cunt stain on it and then driven off without leaving his details because he's a white van driving cunt who doesn't give a flying fuck about people's property, the cunt faced cunt.
3). Blown a front light.
4). (This morning) got a stone chip smack dab in the middle of the windscreen.

It's got to go. It's cursed. I fancy a Toyota Celica before I have kids and give up completely.

[ 19.03.2008, 22:03: Message edited by: Eggchaser ]

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My car is currently with "Mr Clutch" having the clutch replaced (which seemed to be fine until the Fiat service centre serviced my car, not sure what they were doing anywhere near the clutch), by this afternoon I will be 440 lighter.
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, mine is currently undergoing clutch surgery too.
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do so love not having a car any more.
They're just money pits.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's alright if you live in London where you don't need a car, but I can't get to work without mine.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to get a new engine over Christmas.

Lesson learned: if the heater stops working it doesn't mean your toes will be chilly in the morning, it means your engine is a ticking bomb that will blow any minute.

Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, what it means is, you have a problem with the cooling system.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that now. At the time I put it down to something simple like a blown fuse, and pencilled in a service for January. In the mean time the oil was heated to the temperature of the sun, and made shit of the engine.
I'm not very mechanically minded, but molten oil bubbling out the coolant inlet didn't look too promising.

Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

Oops. You see, the heater isn't an electric heater. It actually draws heat from the engine by running the coolant around the dash. It's one of the more sensible aspects of cars, like having an alternator.
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was actually 489, turns out I'd worn down the flywheel
Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

What's that they say about hindsight?
Anyway, a new engine fitted, and a new clutch and other bits and pieces (while the engine was out) came in around the same price as a ten year old 1L run-around. Hopefully it will last long enough to justify it.

WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a '97 VW Jetta, and its repair list could be its own thread.

My dad, however, has a Toyota Corolla. He's put 185,000 KM on it in just under 6 years. Recently I said "You've not really had anything go wrong on it, have you?" and he, quite seriously, said "No...no. Not true. I've just had a tail-light bulb blow."

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

Anyway, back to Rogin's car radio.
My own car radio also has six presets. Radio One is channel 1, but the colder the morning, the more it creeps across. These mornings it usually ends up on channel 3. By the evening it's back to 2 or possibly 1. It's like a built-in thermometer.

hobbes
Member # 28

quote:
turns out I'd worn down the flywheel
You need to stop riding the clutch, then.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC