This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Why is it that I can't think about nothing? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why is it that I can't think about nothing?
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do you want to think about nothing? Why not think about something, you know, nice?
Yeah, but isn't the "nicest" the Buddhists teach us, the nothingness?
Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have one Buddhist friend, what with having a low hippy-bollocks threshold, but for what it's worth, she says that's a misconception. It's more about not holding on to thoughts; kind of letting them drift through you.

Though I don't know why you'd want to do that either. I spend my life trying to keep trains of thought.

That's twice I've quoted this mate; the other time was the one that pissed off Spearmint Rhino with the whole goth bus incident palaver affair.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Goth Bus Incident" sounds like it belongs on the rubbish band names thread.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I've got the phrase "FC Energie Goth Bus" stuck in my head.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find complete silence rather eerie. It's alright in small doses, but I'd much rather have continual low level noise on a regular basis.

The only time being unable to think about nothing bothers me is when I'm coming down off a pill at 6am and I'd really like to get to sleep.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again you should try tinnitus.

I had my ears syringed once and afterwards I could fucking hear everything, my belt buckle squeaking, annoying kids etc. I couldn't wait for my ears to gunk up again.

It's a bit like that Bill Hicks thing about he doesn't want to give up smoking to get his sense of smelll back as he lives in New York and doesn't want to smell tramp piss

When we went to NY, the flat we stayed in had a white noise machine that you out on to drown out the constant traffic at night in Manhattan. I was sceptical at first but I slept fantastically

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's more about not holding on to thoughts; kind of letting them drift through you.
Indeed. The overall idea is to accept impermanence. What happened (or what you had) yesterday was yesterday. You will have certain things today that you may not have tomorrow, or indeed have had yesterday. The idea is that a great deal of energy is wasted (and misery generated) by trying to hold onto impermanent states of being. As things and people and thoughts come to you and go from you, you should accept this and be at peace with it, because it will ever be thus. Like.
Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fergies ocg
Member # 106

- posted      Profile for Fergies ocg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished reading a book about this called The Power of Now, its on eof those books where you'll either read it and just say that's rubbish, or you'll know exactly what the author's getting at.

I cant really explain it better than that but it's all about this subject..the ego. Basically the brain is a tool, we dont need to use it all the time, we dont need to be constantly thinking..to be completely self aware you need to let go of the ego, just recognise the thoughts as they enter your head, without becoming them.

Posts: 517 | From: the cradle to the grave. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The concept of "Mindfulness" in Budhism might be an interesting one to study, if only to shut up those thoughts that affect you.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Romans conquered Europe and didn't even have a numeral for "nothing" in their counting system.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalry Trouser Tips
Member # 1274

- posted      Profile for Cavalry Trouser Tips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd, seeing how many times they played for a 0-0 in later years.
Posts: 4359 | From: Mekonta | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I sit still in silence for a bit, my brain sounds like the second side of Heroes, and I have to get up and do something when 'Sense of Doubt' comes on.

I've found meditation a really really useful corrective to that kind of churning brain activity. It's a fascinating practice: whenever I've done it I've come out the other side with a relaxed alertness that's quite counter-intuitive (it's usually either being alert and a bit on edge, or being relaxed and less mentally active). I've found the practice itself pleasant, if fairly unsensational; but I'm always struck by how much better I can concentrate afterwards, right into the following day.

In the words of OTF anti-woo hero Ben Goldachre:
quote:
Just to clarify: meditation is good, Herbert Benson's excellent papers on the Relaxation Response, the opposite of fight-or-flight, absolutely rule, and you miss out at your peril.
Now, my fight-or-flight response tends to kick in at the drop of a hat (almost literally: I tried to have a fight with the wind the other day, cause it kept fucking with my fringe). So that might be why I get something out of it, while more naturally mellow dudes might not. It's not a quick thing to get into - you do have to have a few goes to start getting the hang of it - and it's 20 times easier to meditate in a room full of people meditating than it is on your own at home, cause you will get distracted there.

I can't begin to imagine why anyone would use words like 'enlightenment' or 'spiritual' in relation to meditating. It's a very rational process: the only faith involved is that it's good for your brain to switch into a different state for a bit, rather than, say, deluding itself it's doing something useful by engaging with stuff it has no control over and isn't producing any practical solutions to. It just gives you some critical distance; having that is a pleasant sensation in itself.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, a nap of exactly 10 minutes is very good for you, much better than an hour when you wake up feeling groggy and your mouth tastes horrible. You don't even have to sleep. Winston Churchill and Francis Rossi swear by them.

People who have eight hours sleep or more live shorter lives as well apparently.

I am not sure this is the right thread for this

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Sinatra's wife, he existed for years on the catnaps he'd take in the limo between the airport and wherever they were going.

One story, possibly apocryphal, has Dean Martin sneaking away from a Rat Pack poker game for a nap. Frank gave a hooker $100 and sent her up to Dean's room. Dean then gave her another $100, told her to sit there for an hour, and then go tell Frank that he was great in bed.

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC