This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » "Mr. Barraclough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Mr. Barraclough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has pegged out.

RIP.

Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Porridge is still one of the best sitcoms around, and he was a great contributor to its success, I always felt.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite Wilde bit is from the Porridge movie, when as Mr Barraclough has has to negotiate with Fletch for the return of Mr Mackay's false teeth, which he sneezed into the kitchen curry pot and Fletch purloined.

"Now, I've been instructed by Mr Mackay to go no higher than five pounds."

"Well the sooner we get up there the better then."

Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew he was in Kit Curran. One of my fondest memories is of watching my brother (not ad hoc, the other one) do a 'Kit Curran'* on my Mum's favourite chair and smash the back of it.

Heh, it makes me smile just thinking about it.

*I've just read that back and realised it sounds like a 'Kit Curran' is rhyming slang for a shit or something.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Submission
Member # 1371

- posted      Profile for Nocturnal Submission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just used to love his expression and reaction when Mr. Mackay turned up at an incident with which he'd been utterly failing to deal.

"Right, now what's going on here Mr. Barraclough???"

"Ah, yes, well, you see..."

[ 20.03.2008, 15:07: Message edited by: Nocturnal Submission ]

Posts: 2168 | From: Revelling In The Hole | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ultimate Barra moment was quelling the prison riot after the cruel reign of Napper Wainwright. Bless him.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember him as far back as that chiller par excellence The Night Of The Demon as a man who, haunted by the evil Niall McGuiness's dark powers, chucks himself out a window in a fit of hysteria.

A very good comedy performer and one who made the most out of his meek, good-hearted bumbling on-screen persona.

RIP, Mr. W.

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, smashing actor and character (Mr B).

(I must admit that I never really got 'Last of the Summer Wine', though).

Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure you were supposed to really Erwin. It was gentle, harmless and not really funny.

Porridge, on the other hand, was a timeless masterwork and Wilde played a huge part in that, as others have said.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He had the voice for Mr Barraclough exactly right - excruciatingly well meaning and almost upset at the nature of his job, trying to be stern yet understanding, all rolled into one wavery tone.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen to all sentiments here.
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ditto. RIP.
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RIP absolutely. A rare talent and one I fear "the kind of which we will not see again".

Eggchaser, that's a marvellous summation. Absolutely to a T.

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC