This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » "6-step reframing" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "6-step reframing"
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone familiar with NLP, or "Neuro-linguistic programming"?

It's a right bunch of bullshit. Check this out:

quote:
6-Step 'Reframing'

1. Identify the problematic behavior.
"What is the behavior or symptom you want to change?"

2. Establish communication with the part of yourself that is responsible for the behavior.
"Go inside of yourself and ask the part of you that creates this behavior, 'Please give me a signal if you are willing to communicate with me.' Pay attention to any internal words, images or feelings that might be a signal from that part of yourself."
2.1. If you do not get a clear signal, ask the part to exaggerate the signal. You may also use the symptom itself by asking "Please intensify the symptom if your answer is 'yes'."
2.2. If the part is not willing to communicate, ask "What is your positive purpose in not wanting to communicate with me?"
[If you have continued difficulty establishing communication with the part, you may want to try a different change process.]

3. Separate the positive intention of the part from the problematic behavior.
"Go inside and thank the part for communicating with you and ask, 'What are you trying to do positively for me or communicate to me with this behavior?'"
3.1. If the intention of the part seems negative, keep asking "And what will that do positively for me? What is your positive purpose?"

4. Find three other choices that satisfy the positive intention of the part but do not have the negative consequences of the symptom or problematic behavior.
"Go to the 'creative part' of yourself and ask it to come up with at least three other ways to satisfy the positive intention of the problematic behavior."
5. Have the part that creates the symptom or problematic behavior agree to implement the new choices.
"Go inside and ask the part responsible for the problematic behavior, 'Signal me if you accept the alternative choices."
5.1. If any choices are not acceptable, or there is no signal, go to step 4 and modify or add choices.

6. Ecology check. Find out if any other parts object to the new choices.
"Go inside and ask, 'Do any other parts object to these new choices?'"
6.1. If yes, identify the part and go to step 2, repeating the cycle with that part.
implement the new choices. "Go inside and ask the part responsible for the problematic behavior

We've had a guy at work - who is, to be fair, by no means an idiot, and who has come up with all manner of very useful initiatives - trying to get all NLP on our asses in order to "remodel working behaviours".

Anyone ever been through one of these processes? I think we're on the verge of getting it kicked into touch, so I'm not worried, but I am curious to hear about it if anyone's ever been forced to go through this stuff.

Obviously, if you've worked through this stuff and think it has value, you're wrong, but feel free to chime in anyway.

What do we reckon? Zero thread?

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any useful to add, I'm afraid. Can't you just tell the bloke to wank off?
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a former boss who felt there was value in NLP. I think underlying the whole mumbo-jumbo it is often dressed up in, there are some decent principles. It doesn't need to be anywhere near as crazy, overbearing or amateur-hour psychology as it often is. It's turned into a bit of the "who's cheese is it anyway?" line of business ideas that have been dampened down to the point of pointlessness to shift books in the business section to unsuspecting self improvers.

Worst of all, there is no point trying to inflict it on people - it is undoubtedly going to be disastrous (let us reform these people who have no interest!).

It is hardly as bad as people who have read Taleb and get all evangelical about markets without much a clue about anything (something I have been on the back end of today), but it isn't great.

Just to save you from a nil thread.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't have any useful to add, I'm afraid. Can't you just tell the bloke to wank off?
Heh. Well, I like the guy, and furthermore, he's normally a very rigorous thinker, and some of his ideas are unusual but fantastically sound. So I've been giving this a day in court, despite my enormous misgivings for a couple of months. However, now we get down to it, I don't think we're going to acquit. I've emailed in a fairly detailed critique of the whole thing and then legged it for easter weekend, so I guess we'll see how things shape up next week.

It's odd though. As I say, the guy is farily hard-headed, but he seems to have a blind spot around his "faith" on this one. And NLP is very faith based; there's basically zero evidence for any of its claims, and plenty of research that suggests it's pretty much bunk.

quote:
I think underlying the whole mumbo-jumbo it is often dressed up in, there are some decent principles.
True enough. However, the claims it makes for being able to read and reprogram people's thinking patterns are basically cobblers, as far as I can see.

There's a massive element of "common sense for idiots" about it all. He had everyone do a workshop the other day that realy set my teeth on edge, where we had to describe positive and negative behaviours associated with each one of several "levels". And it was all "Whatís a positive behaviour around personal responsibility? Taking responsibility for stuff. Whatís a negative behaviour? Not taking responsibility for stuff. Whatís a positive behaviour around creativity? Coming up with ideas. Whatís a negative one? Not coming up with ideas." It was Ė to me Ė dull stuff.

Maybe Iím being dumb and missing something, but Iím genuinely struggling to see what.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Go inside of yourself and ask the part of you that creates this behavior.

-

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got as far as step 2 and decided it was wank, so I gave myself a signal to stop reading it. SO you could say that it works.
Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

Indeed.

I've been trying to imagine my own version of it.

quote:
SSS-Step 'Reframing'

1. Identify the problematic behavior.
"What is the behavior or symptom you want to change?"

2. Establish communication with the part of yourself that is responsible for the behavior.
"Go inside of yourself and ask the part of you that creates this behavior, 'What in the name of holy fuck are you playing at, you cretin?' Pay attention to any internal words, images or feelings that might be a signal from that part of yourself."

2.1. If you do not get a clear signal, tell the part to stop stalling and answer the fucking question. You may also use the symptom itself by asking "Go on, intensify the symptom... I double dare you, motherfucker."

2.2. If the part is not willing to communicate, call it a fucking troll.
[If you have continued difficulty establishing communication with the part, you may want to say snide things about it in its absence.]

Etc.

[ 20.03.2008, 22:40: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried using it to sort out a problem with "arriving too early", but never got past the subclause of 2.1. It was such a calamity that I never got the chance to proceed any further with the program. Messy, too. Serves me right for trying it in the queue at Sainsbury's, I suppose.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

Hahahaha.

NLP's not just this by the way. As well as 6-step Reframing, there's Collapsing Anchors, Visual Squash, V/K dissociation, Change Personal History, Belief Change and Reimprinting.

And no, I'm not making this up. Not even "Visual Squash".

Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

quote:
Pattern: Visual Squash

1. Access side #1, place sort in one hand

2. Access side #2, place sort in other hand

3. Have each side acknowledge and appreciate the meta-outcomes of the other.

4. INTEGRATE: Visual Squash: "As you look straight ahead, I invite you to begin to bring these two parts together, only as fast as these two parts can join together to create something new".

5. Associate with new, integrated third part by having client physically draw their hands (now together) into themselves- usually chest, etc., wherever feels correct for them.

6. Future pace - "See/hear/feel the changes this new part will bring into your life..." "where it will be able to meta outcome 1 and meta outcome 2..." (where it will be able to "feel useful" and "experience excitement", for example).

Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

Oh man, check out this video demonstration:

http://www.moretolifethanthis.com/process_month.asp?ref=24

Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

I'm all turned around on this, this bloke's a stone cold genius.
Kowalski
Member # 10292

- posted      Profile for Kowalski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the basic point, question your behaviour to see what you can do in a better way, or have I missed something?
Posts: 595 | From: People's Republic of Llandudno | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

No, that's it. Like I say "Common sense for idiots". And moreover, common sense in an expensive wrapper.
Fergies ocg
Member # 106

- posted      Profile for Fergies ocg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wonder why you feel so threatened by the idea that you can reframe your beliefs...most people have self limiting beliefs that hold them back. As Henry Ford said, "whether you believe you can or believe you cant youre probably right,"
and thats spot on.

Most people dont actually believe they deserve to be happy and successful in life, and they cling to the same bullshit beliefs they've held all their lives, thats why most people never grow or evolve.

Posts: 517 | From: the cradle to the grave. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC