This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Anti-Imperialists Doing My Head in on Tibet (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Anti-Imperialists Doing My Head in on Tibet
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that because Halifax has a lot of "Which Eastern Religion is best for my abs?" types or a lot of Asians?

Neither. Chogyam Trungpa, a famous and controversial alcoholic lama moved there from Boulder in the mid-80s bringing hundreds of his followers with him. He died of liver failure very soon afterwards but his following stayed and grew into the largest Shambhala Buddhist centre outside Tibet (I should have said 'Tibetan Buddhist population' in my post above.)

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. I think I've read some things from that Buddisht centre. I'm surprised to learn that a single center could be so large.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think centre is used in the broad sense, not as physical buildings, more a geographical/spiritual location.

[ 26.03.2008, 04:36: Message edited by: Amor de Cosmos ]

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little bit taken aback at the pro-China, anti-Tibet tone on here.

Let's not be fooled by this economic boom, China is a fairly brutal transgressor of human rights. not only in Tiananmen Square, not only of the Tibetans but of the Uighurs and others too. If I can sum up the arguments against support for Tibet appear to be the following
1) Richard Gere and other celebs are pro-Tibet
2) If Tibet were independent the government they might end up with would be quite possibly reactionary and feudalist (and with a heavy basis in religion)
3) China's not so bad really

I hope we can dispense with (1) easily. You don't have to like some of the people who support the cause to support the cause. Ahmedinajad claims to support the Palestinians. This doesn't make me support them any less, just because I think he's a cunt.

2) You know what, maybe that's true. But that shouldn't matter. It's up to the Tibetans to decide what kind of government they have. If the Palestinians ever get their own state, I reckon there is a strong possibility that the government they end up with in that state will be on some levels less enlightened than the israeli government. The big difference being of course that the Palestinian or Tibetan government won't have a state policy of murdering, oppressing, and brutalising an occupied people.

3) It fucking is. Here's the current Amnesty International report

[ 26.03.2008, 07:47: Message edited by: ad hoc ]

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your 3) and your 2) seem to contradict each other, ad hoc, unless you believe that China can do what it likes internally so long as it doesn't occupy anyone else. It's up to the Chinese to decide what kind of government they have...
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, obviously I'd prefer it if China had a government which had been directly elected. But in the end it's up to the Chinese people to deal with that, in whatever way they can. I don't believe they should be allowed to abuse human rights internally, and when they do so, they (as every other country that abuses huiman rights) should be hauled over the coals for it internationally. That's really what the UN should be for, and not just some proxy cold war venue.

Occupation though, it's never a good idea is it?

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC