This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Air Chief Marshal Sir Graham "Jock" Stirrup: Childcatcher! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Air Chief Marshal Sir Graham "Jock" Stirrup: Childcatcher!
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember this at school

So, is there a middle ground, are these lefty-no-good-PC-gone-mad-liberal-loons at it again (copyright "Have Your Say") or does the Army still drum in the Sergeant in dress uniforms and ribbons to slip the Queen's Shilling onto the person of unsuspecting rubes before dragging them off to the barracks crying for their mothers?

I honestly can't remember anything military at school except the CCF, and that was voluntary. I'd be interested to know people's experiences.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Say No To Vorderman
Member # 1534

- posted      Profile for Just Say No To Vorderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a school corps but very few joined. my school was all about getting as many of us off to Uni, preferably oxbridge, as possible..and then there were a series of career options for those that failed to get into uni..teaching came next i think..and then others like the civil service, military..and for the real thickos the police force.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had compulsory CCF for a year, and then it was optional. I and some others engaged in some very mild and childish protest in an attempt to make it optional.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My school, being one of the area's main supplier of factory and cannon fodder, would be bombarded (although not literally) with forces propaganda in assemblys.

I once got done for asking some Navy bloke in stripes if Marc Almond could join.

"Who's he? Your friend?"

"No, he's a bummer"

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Join the Army and we will send you to bomb, shoot and possibly torture fellow human beings in other countries."
See, I think that would work.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Join the Army and we will send you to bomb, shoot and possibly torture fellow human beings in other countries. Tweet Tweet.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Squaddie "appears smarter than teachers" shock:

quote:
An ex-soldier, Terry, told BBC Radio Five Live that the union's attitude was patronising to 16-year-olds.

"Now 16-year-olds are not kids - they know, they know their mind," he said.

"If they are not sure what they want to do and they are just tinkering with the idea of just going in the Army - nowadays they can go in the Army, they go on a six-week camp and they find out what it's like.

"If its not for them, they have the choice to leave."

All this stuff about "join the army, become a tool of the imperialist bastards" is all very well, but what's the objective here? An empty British Army? Or a British Army filled with people who that description actually appeals to? The last thing we need is for the forces to be filled exclusively with meatheads who signed up to kick towelhead ass. Perhaps a little nuance would be advisable here. The real issue with the armed forces (like the police) is that we need to find more non-wankers who happen to be hard as nails and almost suicidally committed, not perpetuate the idea that only bastards could possibly be interested.

Obviously the army is a trickier issue than the police, because they have way less autonomy and ultimately have to do whatever the government (or another government) wants them to. But some stereotype of a pipe-smoking corduroy teacher driving a VW Beetle with a "Nuclear Power - No Thanks!" sticker in the back making a holy fool of themself... not going to help.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it went: "Join the Marines. Travel the world. Meet interesting people. Shoot them."
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God, that Taylor's a wise man. I've said it before.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep, superb post.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter did that CCF thing in her early teens, she saw it as a bit of a laugh and a chance to go camping with her mates.
She was brought up in a proddy town and went to a middle-class proddy school so she didn't really know any different, but the look on my mother's face at sunday lunch when she said she'd been training with the British Army was pure fucking priceless, absolutely hilarious.

The Army do the odd recruiting drive at the college where I teach and it's all a bit sad, really.
I don't think most of the kids take them seriously at all.

Nishlord - hahaha.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

quote:
My daughter did that CCF thing in her early teens, she saw it as a bit of a laugh and a chance to go camping with her mates.
I'm astonished by that, I must admit. I mean, she's obviously her own person and everything, so perhaps I shouldn't be, but that's very near the top of "Things I never thought I'd read on OTF."
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which is a thread in itself isn't it:
Wyatt "Deus est regit qui omnia"

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

I take your point, Taylor, but part of the problem isn't that the Army recruits racist meatheads, it's that it of necessity turns them into them. Obviously that's an exaggeration of sorts, but in order to get someone to follow dangerous orders without hesitation and kill another human being on command, you're inevitably going to have to dehumanise them somewhat.

That said, I don't have too much of an issue with the British Army's recruitment methods, from what I understand of them (and I know a couple of people in the army). Yes the adverts paint a rosy picture and emphasise career opportunities far more than, you know, fighting wars, but it's nowhere near as bad as the States, where recruiters are everywhere and seem to have licence to lie brazenly to their targets.

Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest Army ad is pretty shitty. Showing British Army doctors treating Afghanistan civilians is all well and good (in a sort of "Oh look, we treat foreigners too!" kind of way) but it happily ignores the reason why this guy was shot by an "insurgent" when going about his daily business.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC