This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Air Chief Marshal Sir Graham "Jock" Stirrup: Childcatcher! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Air Chief Marshal Sir Graham "Jock" Stirrup: Childcatcher!
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GY has it - the army doesn't do awful things because it's full of idiots, it does awful things because it is the army.

They are having huge problems with recruitment at the moment - of course they are, there's a war on, and soldiers are getting killed. In response, they are putting more and more effort into less and less honest recruitment drives aimed at poorer and less well-educated kids. Teachers trying to defend their kids from that get my vote.

Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm astonished by that, I must admit. I mean, she's obviously her own person and everything, so perhaps I shouldn't be, but that's very near the top of "Things I never thought I'd read on OTF."

Haha, not half as astonished as I was, but, y'know, different era, different experiences and the last thing one should do is project one's predjudices/ negative feelings onto one's children, or at least try really really hard not to, eh? Like I said, my life was radically different to her's at that age, in fact it couldn't have been more different with regards to political climate and environment.
I never discouraged her, I thought it was kind of ironic and the best way to guarantee a backlash of disobedience and resentment in teenagers is to ban them from doing things with their peers.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have I told this story before?

I was in a cinema with AIATL. There was a British Army recruiting ad before the film, all pounding aggressive techno, jump cuts, impact, zooming, and so on. At the end, Giant words slammed onto the screen with a metallic clang;

"LIFE. IS. SHORT."

Silence.

Into which AIATL interjects "lose yours in a foreign war."

I swear to god, the whole cinema pretty much creased itself laughing.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree entirely that the shootings, bombings and torturings are part of what you might call the logic of occupation, rather than the fact that the Army isn't recruiting nice enough chaps. But I'd locate the solution to that in ending the occupation.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC