This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Tell Me Which Laptop To Buy (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell Me Which Laptop To Buy
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be very wary of putting Vista on a budget laptop. XP will almost certainly be faster.

One thing to bear in mind is whether you're going to be using it outside the home. Often the key price differentiator between similarly specced machines is weight and power usage. You pay a lot for miniaturisation and efficiency.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get Vaios sub 500 now too. I've had three of them and been generally quite impressed.

They don't give you the most bang for the buck, but they are quite stylish and media friendly - almost a half way house between Macs and general Windows based laptops.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a Dell laptop for 550 euros incl. VAT. It had 2 gigs of memory (I didn't know you could do that), 250 gb hard drive and one of those double processors. It came with Vista though. I suppose you could erase Vista and stick XP on.

VAIOs look nice but you're paying 30% extra for a Sony logo and at the end of a day it's a Windows laptop.

[ 25.03.2008, 21:38: Message edited by: bryanattoni ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking about Toshiba actually. They pretty much dominated the fledgling laptop market in the 95-98 sort of period with those monolithic grey bricks that went under the Tecra brand. I remember borrowing the work one and sitting with it on my lap in front of the television for about half an hour at a time. Any longer and I felt like I had Hattie Jaques on my lap. A very hot Hattie Jacques.

They got left behind rather rapidly all the same. The first one I ever bought was a sexy little washbag sized Vaio in 1999. It was too small to do any concerted typing, or much else to be honest but it changed perception of what laptops could be.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd strongly advise against a Vaio, both my partner and myself had serious reliability problems with them.

If you want to pick up a bargain I suggest you trawl hotukdeals.com for a week or so.

For example, heres a cheap dell laptop

[ 25.03.2008, 22:19: Message edited by: Sgt. Pinback ]

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC