This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Smoking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Smoking
Jorge Porbillas
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Jorge Porbillas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd forgotten how foul it was breathing in someone else's cigarette smoke until I arrived in Sarajevo. I've got a stinking headache because of the thick cigarette smoke from the disgusting Turkish cigarettes everybody smokes here.

Bloody hell, pubs back home are such great places now!

Posts: 7152 | From: the lower reaches of the Fifa rankings | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pubs are really boring now smoking is banned.
I don't even smoke anymore, but can barely be arsed to go to the pub.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm definitely pro the smoking ban - I think it's hard to argue that bar staff should have to breathe dangerous fumes in their place of work - it was rather cool at the Autechre gig in a car park I went to recently when people were dancing while smoking cigarettes and joints. Vibes!
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah man. When I first moved to Brighton, there was a chalk board aboutside one of the pubs on Western Rd saying "Hungry vibe? Come inside vibe!"

It really upset me. I wondered about the kind of people I'd have for neighbours.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not something I'd categorise as a "vibe", being hungry.

I mean, if you can use it for that, you can use it for anything: "On a kind of shot in the head vibe today", "got a bit of a lost glasses vibe going on".

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. I thought I was going to be living among people who talk like that.

Actually, I might be. I don't get out much.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Staying in vibe?

I hear staying in is the new going out.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've kicking out some seriously rude 200-Camel-With-A-Ukrainian-Tax-Stamp-That-My-Mum-Got-For-A-Tenner-In-Egypt vibes this week.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I was vibes is so passe it's almost due for a comeback. I was talking to a UK Garage dude recently, and he was using it a lot, in an almost quasi-mystical way. I was asking, what the difference was between raves in the UK and elsewhere, and he just replied "vibes! The vibes!".

I like these kind of deliberately non-articulate adjectives in underground speak. See also Grime's use of the word "lot" as an adjective to mean "good". Eg, "Wiley's set on the pirate radio show last night- oh my gosh, that was a LOT".

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ 26.03.2008, 10:46: Message edited by: Hieronymus Bosch ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

Vibes vibes.
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

Bobby Hutcherson is surely the greatest vibes player ever. The vibes he creates are unparalleled.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Great, now I've got an R Kelly earworm.
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the use of the word "gosh" in a rave/pirate radio context. A London staple since the reggae days, I think.

If anyone with a jester hat vibe said "gosh" you'd expect them to follow it up with "goody goody gumdrops" (and I wouldn't be surprised if someone did exactly that in about 1991).

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC